Thursday, October 9, 2008

Old quilt.....

Well, our visit with Grandma from Florida went well and most everyone has gotten over our colds this week. I have gotten almost nothing done, since the boy is extremely mobile now and is getting into everything! Oh, to go back a month where he pretty much stayed where I put him.... but then he says 'Mama' and holds out his arms for a hug and gives baby kisses and all is better! He says 'Baba' (bottle) and 'Mama' all the time now and said 'granpa' on Monday! He sure was keeping an eye on Grandpa while we were visiting! Here he is this morning with his big bear.



I did get down to visit my parents on Monday with Aidan and my Mom asked if I could repair a quilt for her. This is a special quilt for her since it is the last one her Mom made (my Grammy M) before she died in the late 70's. My nieces and brother were living with them for a few years when he got his divorce and my niece J took a likeing to it. She asked if she could bring it to her new home and my Mom agreed she could borrow it for a little while. Well... 2 years later and my Mom bought a quilt bedding set for her room so she could get her quilt back. When they returned it...my parents were not home. When Mom took a look at it, one block has lots of pieces that are pulled up from fabric breakage, a few other blocks have places where the seam opened and the whole binding has a tear at the middle all around the quilt. Knowing that I got a box of my grammy's fabrics and her treddle sewing machine, Mom asked if I could try to repair it. We discussed what to do and I'll give it a shot. I will just put a binding over the existing one, blind stitch the little gaps/tears and will attempt to make a block of the same pattern using the fabrics from my box and fuse it down over the existing one and then stitch it in place. I hope I am able to do it without damaging the quilt too much.
The quilt. I am not sure of the pattern name.

Damage pictures.. and the binding.



I did manage to finally finish one sock I started knitting last fall! Now, if I can finish the other one before next fall, I'm doing good!

I've also been reading a lot. I have read at least 8 of the Jennifer Chiaverini - Elm Creek Quilt series of books. I am addicted! I am currently reading the Circle of Quilters.
Another series I read late this summer is the Emilie Richards - Shenandoah Valley series. I passed my books to my Mom, who passed them to both my sisters. Another set of good books I'd recommend.
Ok, need to make some phone calls while boy is napping.
Have a great day everyone.

1 comment:

Gina said...

What a lovely quilt. Good luck with repairing it.

As always I love the photo of Aiden. He has such a gorgeous smile.

Love and hugs Gina xxx