Monday, December 12, 2011

Home sweet Home...

It is so nice to be able to be home this week! Being away for 4 of the last 5 weeks has been difficult but we made it through. The kids were great with Grandma and they had some great memories with her. A big thanks to my MIL for staying by herself with the 2 kids for us. She even took them to a movie! I don't think I would have dared to do that.
The good news... I get to pull things out in my sewing room and not worry about putting things away right off! Yippee.

So many projects and so little time. I've decided to make some progress on the midget blocks over the next couple of weeks and made this cute log cabin block yesterday.

I printed off the next few and have pulled the fabrics for the next paper pieced block on my list. I plan to do that one on Tuesday.

I also was low on the HST's in green and cream so I was busy on Saturday pulling my green fabrics and doing some cutting to restock the HST's and while I was doing that I cut some more 2.5 inch squares for the 4 patches. These are for the Jacobs ladder quilt along - doing 1-2 blocks per week. So far I have 12 blocks made including the 2 I made yesterday.

I am leaving the pile of greens out on the floor (where Sophie has decided to sleep while I am in the sewing room!) since I am sure I will be needing more in a couple of weeks. So nice to be able to leave things out!!!! (Yup, I work best in clutter.)

The next project I want to concentrate on... the crumb quilt. I have 42 6 inch (unfinished) squares from the quilt along with Jo last month. I have decided to use sashing and will do a mix of the pastel colors as a scrappy sashing and will do some cornerstones of various 30's prints. I need to cut these out and sew the middle parts together. Then I plan on a blue inner border followed by the alphabet letters along the side. I think I may do those in different colors..... I'll have to see how the middle comes out and then decide. Just in case... I ordered 2 more yards of the blue pastel from Keepsake quilting and it arrived last week. I may do the letters all in the blue around the outside...... time will tell. I believe Jo has a second reveal sometime mid January... so I hope to have this quilt top completed and quilted and bound by that time.

I also have a graduation quilt that needs to get done by June and shipped to it's recipient. I have the fabrics....I just need to find the black background somewhere in the closet. I am going to do a star struck pattern by Bonnie Hunter over at Quiltville.com. I made a scrappy one a few months ago and think this one will be really striking in M's chosen colors of brights - orange, yellow, pink and red . I think the black will really make them pop. I started cutting some orange for the 2.5 inch squares but need to cut the rest out and start the sewing. I'm thinking the week of Christmas for cutting and sewing the blocks on this one... which means I really need to get the crumb one done in the next 2 week. Yikes.... 2 weeks until Christmas.

On that note... I need to get a good picture of the kids for sending out to family in the Christmas cards. I've got the cards ready to go... just waiting for a picture.

Then... it will be off to the usual holiday baking and cookie decorating over the next week. I think the freezer will be stocked with cookies for the warm months to come down here in Florida when I won't want to warm up the house with the oven. The kids are great little helpers with measuring and stirring... I just know to plan on it taking twice the time it normally would.

Enjoy making some memories with your families. I know I plan to.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

It's wonderful that you don't need to travel anymore. Sounds like you are going to be very busy. I can't wait to see what comes out of your sewing room. I looked for the midget blocks and I see that #1-50 have been retired.