Friday, April 18, 2014

RSC Saturday in purple.

I could not miss two Saturday's in the RSC challenge so I'm going to show the little bit of purple I have been able to play with this month. Not nearly as much as I would have liked at this point but I'll take what sewing time I can get. Some Churn dash blocks and some hexagon flowers have been added to the mix. I have started one of the sampler blocks but have not had a chance to finish it. There are three more churn dashes waiting to be sewn together on the sewing table.


I have been playing with some leftovers from my Triangle Quilt Along fabrics (I hope to attempt to sew some rows together on Sunday night after getting home from Easter dinner at Grandma's house). I've been making these cute hexagon flowers. I just need to prep a bunch of white for some neat flowers in between with colorful centers. I'll hook these together with a white hexagon and then make some rows. Hopefully what I am thinking will work out for a cute little quilt. Emily's new Sofia the First doll thinks she needs her own quilt!

My sewing table is a banquet table and it had to be moved outside on Thursday for a play date. Emily had a few of her friends from school over to dye some eggs. The back lawn was a great choice to do that. I ended up helping out that morning in her class for her party so had prepped the dyes early - 2.5 hours early! I added a little vinegar when we got home and it was amazing the colors we got from just a couple of seconds in the dye. I must remember this next year. The kids all had a great time and then played with lots of toys through the house while the Mom's chatted. That night the kids had a soccer game. Aidan played goal one quarter and did a great job trying to score a goal as well. None of his five try's made it past the other teams goalie but he did a great job trying. It is amazing how much they have learned in the three months they have been playing.

Friday we had a family day and we all went to Animal Kingdom. I wanted to hit the safari ride - Good Friday with a great chance of rain was a wonderful day to go! Wait times were about 10 minutes! We used the fast pass to go to see Mickey and Minnie Mouse - which they loved. We also tried 'It's Tough to be a Bug' but they both bolted out pretty quick as it was too scary. A quick bite to eat and then we hit dinosaur land to play in  the dig site and the playground. Some kids who were so excited to go with both Mom and Dad - who did not sleep much last night - got a little cranky so we called it a day and headed home after some ice cream around 1:30. The advantage of the annual pass - no guilt as we can go back any time =).

Head on over to SoScrappy on Saturday morning to see the other purple projects being worked on through the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. On Sunday, check out Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Stitching Sunday. I'll be working on some more hexagon flowers  in purples and whites during the morning and evening between easter egg hunts and heading to Grandma's for Easter lunch with the family.

 Happy Easter

14 comments:

Ellen said...

All of your blocks look great and I do love purple!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just love those purple hexie flowers around those purple churn dashes!

Marly said...

Very pretty pink hexagons both purple and pink; you must have thousands of hexagons by now.

Nell's Quilts said...

What a fun time your kids had before Easter! Your hexagon flowers quilt will be lovely with all the bright colours.

Teresa in Music City said...

Sounds like so much fun!!! I love your blocks - churndashes are favorites of mine :)

Sarah said...

I'm always dawn to your pictures of hexies and your purple ones are real beauties! I'm also envious of you at the animal kingdom. I'm a real Disney junkie!

Karen said...

I love the hexies. One day I am going to make some. Very nice churn dash blocks. Enjoy your time your family.

Angie said...

Great vignette of purple hexies and churn dashes - it's a purple feast!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Every time I see your hexie flowers I am reminded I haven't worked on mine in ages. Too many other things going on. Love your purple blocks.

Quilter Kathy said...

Have a wonderful Easter and enjoy growing more hexies!

LA Paylor said...

you're doing better than I am on the purple! I have missed two weeks too. I did work on purple yesterday! Yours are terrific.
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com

Chantal said...

Great family picture with Mickey and Mimi. What fun they had Yoohoo! I think Sophie the First will have a beautiful little hexy quilt. Can't wait to see your flowers tied with white hexies; sounds wonderful!

newsurfiegirl said...

Hexies would take me forever! Yours are looking terrific! I need to catch up on the RSC I think I am a couple of months behind now!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Enjoy your hexies and your Easter! :)

I really like the purple blocks in the beginning of the post as well :)