Friday, September 19, 2014

A busy week....

Not much to show this week on the sewing front. I am working on machine quilting the Starlight Wishes quilt and have done the out lines of the black in the middle section. I have a few diamonds left to go - maybe 9 or so. Then I'll attempt swirls...... then the outline of the prairie points on the border.

The kids are off school today so I plan to put them to work weeding and prepping a garden this morning... a little late but we should have a few months of good weather to get some beans, peas and hopefully some cucumbers to grow down here.

I got a box of tomato's this week and canned 14 pints of tomato's and then made pizza sauce with the rest. 8 half pints and two pint jars of that was canned. Looks like everything sealed so it just needs a wipe down, marking date and what it is and then put up in the pantry. Em wants pizza tonight to test out a little that did not make it into a jar. The other 7 jars of tomato are already in the pantry. I see Mom's tomato soup in my future next week =).

Aidan had his allergist appointment on Tuesday. He is only allergic to two things - mold and dust mites. We are trying Allegra twice a day and a nasal steroid once a day for a few weeks and we'll see where we go from there. He has been able to sleep without issues and no humidifier and the sneezing has gone way down so hopefully this will work. I do notice he sneezes more after coming in from outside - Florida humidity so I'm sure there is mold growing everywhere out there.

I did get a chance to hand stitch this week and got my 10 hexagons done..... ok I have one more hexagon to add to that leaf one. I did find a jelly roll (2.5 inch strip of width of fabric-  Mom) of peaches and orange in the closet so I'll use that to make my other 3 or so. Just need to cut and prep my 12 churn dashes for stitching next week.





I also finished the latest dish cloth in the car line yesterday. I got a new light pink yarn from Joann's a while ago on sale for $1.99 and it is so soft. Em was playing with it and the tag with information was tossed so I have no clue the name but it is so much softer than the sugar and cream yarns I usually use. I think the rest will be making a crochet dish cloth with a new to me pattern.

Time to use up some of the pumpkin puree in the freezer - I'm going to try pumpkin-apple streusel muffins this morning. This is the haul minus the one I had to eat right after they came out of the oven. All I can say is..... these will be made again very soon. Oh, so yummy! I wonder if any will be left to take into work tomorrow? I'm guessing not. Now... do I dare to make the pumpkin cookie recipe I found yesterday? I think I'll wait for next week on that one. Until then... must not eat more of the muffins this morning - three should be my limit!
The kids are playing 'farm' with trips to the store for creamer, the vet for animal checks and now Emily is baking in her kitchen - a peach cobbler with extra ketchup! It is her secret ingredient =). Think I'll put them outside to pull weeds from the garden so we can plant before the rain starts.


11 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Love your Starlight Wishes quilt - it is very striking! I was just reading along and then got VERY hungry - pumpkin-apple streusel muffins sound wonderful! May have to try them soon! ~Jeanne

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Those muffins sound YUMMY! I will have to make some when we get back.

Nice to see your progress ... sounds like Starlight Wishes is getting pretty close to the final reveal ... I can't wait to see it!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I'm hopping in the car and driving down for a muffin...save me one! : )

You have been a busy lady ! :)

Nell's Quilts said...

Busy lady! Busy household! Those muffins look yummy. Great progress on the hexies and the new quilt.

Kathy S. said...

Starlight Wishes quilt is gorgeous! I love the table topper on your cover photo too! I might just have to make one of those soon! Have a great weekend. Keep up the good work.

Ellen said...

Sounds like Starlight Wishes is coming along very nicely. You will soon have another wonderful finish!

Angie said...

Envious of your canned tomatoes and pizza sauce! And the muffins look delicious!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great bit of orange done. You got lots done in the kitchen. We make tomato sauce for pasta with most of our tomatoes. Then maybe some salsa also. We have so many apples and some do not keep so we have done a few batches of apple sauce too.

Cathy said...

With the tomato canning and pumpkin your house looks like ours! With our garden tomatoes I can everything from ketchup to spaghetti sauce. I've been using the Tattler reusable canning lids for a few years now. Have you heard of them?

Love that quilt and hexies.

Sheila said...

Your quilt is beautiful. The canned tomatoes look yummy. Hope Aidan does well with the meds. I think there's a lot of mold here in NC.
LOVE the knitted dishcloth. I'll look for that yarn at Jo Ann's.

Marsha Cooper said...

I would sure like to eat some of your muffins right now.
I'm not sure if I am having allergy symptoms or I'm coming down with something bad. I'm hoping for allergies. Sadly I have misplaced my inhaler and don't have the money to call the doctor to have him call me in another one.