Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Look who came out to play today!

This was my maternal Grammy's machine - a Singer 301W. My Mom learned how to sew on this machine and last year I had her give it a whirl and try and show me how to thread it, the bobbin and adjust the tension. It had not been used for decades before that. I have some of the owners manual but have since downloaded the whole booklet so I have it. Today I added some oil - dusted it out a bit as it has been stored in the cabinet for over a year without seeing the light of day. I figured out how to put the bobbin case back in after some oil and threaded it up. Why did I wait so long - the tension on it is good and I love the sound of it clicking along. I am just sewing some of my purple bits into my long strip right now. I need to play and figure out a proper seam allowance and then maybe I'll have to come up with a special project for this machine.

I think I'll grab some squares and figure out that 1/4 inch seam allowance and keep playing.

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh that makes me happy to see you having some vintage sewing fun! What a beauty! Enjoy!

Angie said...

Yay! Another quilter gets bitten by the vintage machine bug! Be careful - another one will follow you home soon!

Julierose said...

i have one of these that I want to sell--I am not into old machines, plus a Singer feathereight, an old white and a Pfafff Variamatic...thninking i may do a Spring yard sale....hugs, Julierose

a good yarn said...

They don't make them like that any more!

Sheila said...

Those old machine will sew forever! Unlike some of these new machines made with plastic parts.

Kristie said...

Nice machine! It is nice to see those old machines being used. Have fun!
-Kristie

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I sure wish I had kept my mom's old Singer. She got it (new?) in 1945 when she and my dad married. She handed it down to me ... but when I was younger and oh so very foolish, I had the notion that newer would certainly be better than older and got rid of it. Oh, the shame of it all. :-(