Friday, February 3, 2012

Waste not...

No quilting today but wanted to share an idea and recipe. My kids love banana's... and there is always some in the house. Unfortunately, they do go through stages and sometime they turn brown before they kids eat them. My solution.... I peel them and then pop them in a ziplock bag and place in the freezer door.... with a note of what is in there. Right now.... I have a bag with 2 banana's in there. Earlier this week I had some that were starting to attract flies so I planned to make some banana bread. Of course.... the kids decided to eat 2 of my 3 bananas. I still wanted to make them ( and so did they... did I mention they measure all my dry ingredients for me - leveling off and everything!) To the freezer I go and grabbed the 2 frozen ones. Popped them in the microwave to defrost slightly and I was good to go. This is a recipe I grew up with so I'll call it Mom's Banana Bread.

3 large banana's (mashed)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
4 Tablespoons melted shortening (I use canola or vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 cups flour

Mix all ingredients. Bake in a greased 8 inch bread pan for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Sorry no picture... it seems to have disappeared. We also add handfuls of chocolate chips and sometimes some walnuts. Chocolate chips make everything better!

No comments: