Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Starbursts and Sugar Cookies

I think that is what I am going to call the Star Struck Graduation quilt. It reminds me of starburst candies....the bright colors and all. Since my G girl did not say which setting she preferred..... I'm going with this one cause I like it better!

This is what it looked like when the kids and I laid it out yesterday. I have to thank them... they let me finish sewing the double line on the last 20 of the yellow's and then cut and press a bunch of these blocks yesterday morning. Now.. I just need to find the time to sew them together into stars. I think I do need to make another row of them to make it just a wee bit longer and more of a twin size quilt. Probably adding a few more yellows and another each of the red and pink. I have a plan for the extra half square triangles and hopefully I can play with them a bit next week and see how my idea looks.


We also did some baking this week and made these awesome sugar cookies. I've tried a bunch of recipes and they were ... ok... but the shapes were never defined well and they just got big...know what I mean? I got this recipe from my old quilt guild newsletter back in April 2010. There is a link in my side bar - the Franklin County Quilters Guild. I finally tried them out before Christmas and we've made them a few times since then. We decided to make hearts this time since Valentines day is coming up. One change I made was to swap out the vanilla for almond extract. Yum! Give them a try. You'll thank me (and Sharon for putting them in the newsletter!) Here is a link to the cookies on my recipe page.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Pretty quilt top! My kids loved baking when they were little too.