Friday, October 23, 2020

RSC Stashbuster blocks....

Some sewing in yellow happened this week. I was able to sew my two yellow Stashbuster blocks (well, 8 blocks really). This is the set of them. I need to rearrange it a bit for a better low, medium to dark blend. 


I also added 2 16 patch blocks in yellow to the set. I think this one will continue next year.... but if not they can be worked into something pretty easy. I like making stars with these by adding a flying geese block to 4 sides. There was a neutral leftover from a previous year when I made these guys into my cube quilt..... that one is on the hope chest at the bottom of my bed. 


Linking up with the RSC on Saturday morning. 

The rest of the post is the chickens. It appears I have not posted photo's of the newer set in a while. They are now outside in their new 'house'. We have 2 coops now - each with a 8x8 run and those runs are connected with a door and chicken wire in between to keep them separate until the littles get a little bigger. They are about 2 months and the older set are about 4 months. They are molting.... so no eggs from the big set yet.

The bigger coop where everyone will end up eventually. It just needs some nesting boxes made and the window on the inside part set up. They were just out for some 'grass' time before it rained.

Maple, Myrtle, DC - Daisy Chickaletta, Rose and Poppy - 3 Barred Rock and 2 Easter Eggers.

The older set - Emily sitting  with Fred, Lilly, Molly and Emma

                                Emily holding Poppy - one of the Easter eggers (Rose is one too).

15 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt tops are looking so good and I haven't even started my October blocks thank goodness I only need to make two of them!
The chickens are getting big

scraphappy said...

Both sets of blocks are coming along nicely. I do love postage stamp stars. I seem to come back to them year after year. Those chickens are getting so big! Em looks like she thoroughly enjoys them all.

Chantal said...

Well done! The Scrap Buster quilt is coming along nicely. I love 16-patch blocks. They are so versatile, they can easily morphed into another type of block. You have a lovely collection of them too. It'll be fun to see what they become. Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 16 patch blocks are so appealing - they make me just want to go sew some! It was fun clicking over to the other post to see what else you've made with 16 patches. So many great design ideas! The chickens look like they are really thriving at your house!

Susie H said...

Love your Stashbusters. Really pretty and looks like a great way to use up scraps. Those 16-patchers are adorable as is but will be so pretty as stars. Thanks for the link back to see the examples. Good job!

grammajudyb said...

Always fun to see the chickens! We live in town, so no chickens are allowed. Do have friends that have them though! So interesting!
I love watching your 16 patches come together. And the scrap buster square dance blocks are so fun!

Cathy said...

Lots of yummy scraps! I like to make stars using anything for the center. And the chickens make me want to raise chickens again. We haven't had any since the kids grew up and left home quite some time ago.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Both sets of blocks are looking good, Deb! Best of luck with the finishing of your Stash Buster quilt. I haven't decided if I will continue mine into next year or set the together in a small quilt top this year. We'll see...

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a great way to set the Stash Buster blocks! And you're right, there are lots of things to do with 16 patch blocks, especially pretty ones like yours. LOVE the chickens! Em is handling them like a pro.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

there is barely anything happier than cuddling a chicken.

Jenny said...

Never heard of Easter Egger chickens, what a great name!

gayle said...

Aw... Now I'm missing the days when I raised chickens...
Your blocks look great, too, but oh those chickens!

Katie Z. said...

Your blocks are so happy, and I love seeing the chickens.

Cathy said...

Your patch blocks have been turned into great quilts over the last year. I know we’ll be seeing more from you. And it’s fun to hear about the chickens, too!!

maggie fellow said...

I sure don't have the energy for chickens - great blocks and projects. will be fun to see what you decide to do with them