Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Hexagon QAYG (Quilt as you go)....

So, back in September I was surfing the web (I know, always dangerous!) and came upon Missouri Star Company's video of making hexagon quilt as you go projects. I believe I asked someone to stop me but no....... you all encouraged me to start a new project instead! (see how I placed that blame away from myself!). I figured I'd wait for 'birthday monies' in November to order the Daisy and Grace templates...... a few of you mentioned you might want to join in on my 'rabbit hole' project.... cause I seem to be an enabler! 

I was ordering something from Amazon... and well, there might have been anniversary money in September .... so I ended up ordering a similar template set that should work just fine for this project. I think it was about the same price but also included that 60 degree triangle shape that might come in handy for some other project. From what I can tell, it is slightly smaller than the Daisy and Grace templates. For me, the big hexagon measures 5 3/4 inches rather than 6 inches. It is going to work just fine for me!

Honestly, I'm not sure where this one will take me. I had purchased a couple of FQ bundles from Aldi a while ago for $5..... They are pretty blues and greys. I think I will start out with that and just play a bit and see what happens. This 'might' become a RSC project next year.... time will tell. I sure do have tons off scraps of warm and natural batting hanging around and this will be a great use for all those parts and pieces.

There may be a 'practice' piece of 7 hexagons in Christmas fabrics to make a hexagon 'candle mat' for the table. There are instructions on how to do them by machine but I'm tempted to do them by hand. I know, like I need another hand piecing project!  

My original plan was to start this in November.... but as the kids are going back to in person school Monday... I might prep those 7 Christmas hexagons this weekend and pop them in the car with some thread, needle and scissors for the car line pickup next week and see what I am getting myself into.

Feel free to join along! It is always fun to pull people down that rabbit hole with me!




9 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Not EVERYONE said to go for it! I'm pretty certain that I was your single dissenting vote, Deb. Knowing how you enjoy handwork, this actually sounds like a good car project for you.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I am in. May do a practice one too but will start in November. Thx for adding to the UFO pile. LOL

Deb A said...

Joy - the majority was a bad influence!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Somehow I may have missed the hexie quilt as you go, along--
but I am pretty sure I have that set or a set just like it--and I even know right were it is --and I have small pieces of batting--so --If you can tell me where the directions are-I will join you--got lots of little Christmas prints in to play with--but I don't have a car line to sit in while making them--hummm????
luv, di

Chris said...

I bought the one from Missouri Star and it cost me $320 Cdn. Just sayin'. And you are totally to blame. Not the price. The buying of it. Last night I had 7 year old Devan pull out her box of bright fat quarters that I bought years ago from Craftsy and gave to her and I showed her the 5 charm packs I bought from Missouri Star with my double cash points. They are solids and mostly solids to go with her bright prints. And I also have lots of warm and natural scraps. Thanks for reminding me about that option. I told her we would make a winter project out of it. We should be able to use the tiny rotary cutters that I somehow ended up buying 5.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm in! :) I got the templates from Missouri Star and a charm pack, but I probably need to watch the video again just to remember how to cut the pieces. Looking forward to it, Deb!

Julierose said...

I have those templates awaiting in my template drawer...
I will see how my hands hold up...hugs, Julierose

Mary Ann said...

I'm looking forward to this, Deb. I got the templates last November from Missouri Star and have my fabric and batting, so I'm ready to go. Thanks for doing this!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I cant wait to see how those hexagons are going to come together!