Saturday, January 5, 2013

First 2013 Saturday in PINK!

This is the first Saturday in 2013 and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is once again on tap for me this year. I have a couple of thoughts on some blocks to work on through the year and have a feeling other things will pop up as well.

For this first Saturday in Pink I made a pink Snails Trail block. I plan to make 24 blocks - 2 each month for a 4x6 setting. I just found this tutorial that will yield a 12 inch finished block. I will be making 2 at a time from now on..... although I did get lots of cream strips sewn together for step 6 of the Easy Street mystery while making this block.

I also prepped some orange peel blocks to work on this month. They are 3.5 inches finished so I will need oodles of them each month to make a good sized quilt.....or maybe this will be a two year project? Time will tell. I just had to make one to see how it would go. I expect my ends will be much better by the time I am done with this project.


Head on over to SoScrappy on Saturday morning and see what others are working on this weekend.



15 comments:

scraphappy said...

Great snails trail block. Definitely on my someday list, thanks for the link to the tutorial. It will be nice to have handwork on the ready this year. Hope you can get them prepped ahead and ready to carry along -- you will be amazed how much you can get done that way.

Ellen said...

I love the snails trail block idea. They will make a gorgeous quilt.

I think you have made a great start on the orange peel. I am still learning to applique and I don't have sharp points either (or round curves) but I figure we all have to start somewhere. In the end, once it is all quilted and used who is going to notice any minor flaws. They are just going to admire the beauty and be awed with the amount of work to make it!

Sheila said...

Wow. Great snail block. Most excellent tutorial. I will enjoy watching your quilt come together this yearl

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Very pretty! Thank you for the tutorial link.

Terri said...

I've always loved snail trail, but never made one. Love your orange peel, too. (Do you have orange trees?)
Hugs

Katie Z. said...

What fun beginnings of quilts!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Snail trail blocks will look lovely in the rainbow scraps!

Angie said...

Looks like you've got two good challenges going! It will be fun watching your progress!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

what a pretty Snails Trail block. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. I bookmarked the tutorial because I'd like to make one myself.

Teresa in Music City said...

I love Snails Trail blocks! It will be fun watching yours come to life this year :*)

Cyn said...

Nice Snails Trail Block. Thanks for adding the tute link.
Your Orange Peel looks nice, too. Will they all be pink or scrappy? Can't wait to see more.

Quilter Kathy said...

Off to a great start!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great blocks. It will be fun to see how they come about. I love the snails trail block.

Elly D said...

The snail trail block will make a lovely quilt. I look forward to seeing this one progress and your orange peel blocks too. I took a look at it then decided I'd best finish the 3 Kathy Tracy quilt projects I have already started and are currently ufos. LOL...

Candace said...

I love the snails trail although I've never made any. It's going to be beautiful.