Saturday, May 13, 2017

RSC Saturday....

 It's Raining! We are in dire need of rain and the nice soaker we are getting today is a blessing! I just love the relaxing sound of the rain drops splattering on the roof. So calming.

I have not played with green scraps this week but, I have been working on one of my RSC tops. I got this section (28x92) of my 2015 RSC Challenge quilt pinned this week.

Then I made the X machine stitched through all the blocks. This morning I finished up the petals around the X in each block. 


This is how it is looking on a green one. 


I am leaving the border section quilting for after I have the three sections sewn together.  Which means I don't have to decide on that quilting design right now! I was thinking the rounded petals all around... but it might end up to a free motion flower with a loopy loop connecting it..... we'll see. The walking foot is working really well for the X and petals (I change the stitch length to 3 on my machine) and the section is not too bad to work under my machine. The next section will be 36x92 with 3 full 12 inch blocks in each row. 
I really hope this quilt as you go method works well without a sashing on the front. I am leaving 1/4 of an inch on the edge and hope it will work when I sew it together. Wish me luck!
This pattern is available for free under the RSC 2015 tab on Angela's block at the RSC Challenge link up. Mine was done using some beautiful hand dyed fabrics from Vicki Welsh. I highly recommend her fabrics - luscious colors and they are a joy to work with. 

I have a feeling I will be contacting her to purchase fabrics later this year to make this quilt for my niece who is graduating from HS next June. She searched patterns and asked for either the pattern star struck by Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville 
(like her cousin Mindy's quilt only in teal, blue and deep purple)  or this one. 
My  break is over.... time to plan the next graduation quilt.

The link to the graduation quilts I have made so far:
Ben - Labor Day Stars 2010
Kristin - Yellow Brick Road 2011
Mindy - Star Struck 2012
Jillian - Kaliedoscope 2013
Rebecca - Kaliedoscope 2014
Alex - Hunters Star 2015
Left to go - Sarah 2017, Sally 2019 and Charlie 2021... then my kids!


14 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilt is so pretty. I hope your quilting goes well, looking forward to seeing her completed! Happy stitching.

Edith said...

Lovely quilt and quilting and a pretty quilt to start thinking about for your niece's graduation.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Ohhh--sent some of that lovely rain to the mid east coast--we have the 'luxury' today of heavy smoke fire in the air--hard to breathe--
love how your quilt is coming along--
enjoy the moments, di

Cathy said...

Wishing you luck on the quilting and my, what a lot of nice graduation quilts you've made! What lucky graduates!

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

beautiful quilts. love you star quilt

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your star quilt is going to be just beautiful! I haven't ever tried quilt as you go, so I am really curious about it. It sure would be nice not to drag the whole quilt around through the little throat space in my sewing machine!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Quilting on a rainy day is wonderful - it adds the perfect bright spot to one's day! Your quilting looks great. Hoping this quilt as you go works out for you - I've done some before and it's always gone well. I machine stitched the front (no sash) and hand stitched the batting and back. ~Jeanne

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This looks great and I am so glad to hear that you are getting rain that you need.

I have read about the dry weather in Florida recently and it just seemed strange...more climate change :(

a good yarn said...

Lovely quilting on your RSC2015 and the vibrancy of those fabrics. Wow! That teal and blue quilt is stunning. Glad you've finally had some rain.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a wonderful aunt you are!! I feel certain that you can't go wrong with either of those patterns for Sarah's graduation quilt. Glad I didn't start that tradition in our family... we have TWENTY nieces and nephews!!

Angie said...

Neat idea for quilting your RSC quilt - can't wait to see how it turns out! Glad you are getting rain, I know how badly it's needed over there!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your quilt is looking so great!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Glad to hear that you are getting rain and this is such a nice quilt ; she's a lucky girl and enjoy finishing it up :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Glad to hear that you are getting rain and this is such a nice quilt ; she's a lucky girl and enjoy finishing it up :)