Saturday, November 23, 2013

Challenge completed!

I had issued a challenge to Kathy to get her quilt quilted and the binding on for a slow stitching binding post for this Sunday. I'm happy to say that I was able to get my quilt quilted on Friday afternoon. I worked today (Saturday) and then when I got home went out to eat for a date with hubby and then picked up one kid from Grandma's. We got home around 9PM and got Aidan to bed. Off to the sewing room for me. I didn't have a chance to hit Joann's for some fabric for binding after work since I knew we were going out to eat. I did a dive into the basket of fabrics where I knew I had tossed the trimmings from the last quilt backing. I had enough of this brown to make the binding, pressed it and then threw the walking foot on the machine and got it sewn down to the top of the quilt. Woo Hoo! I did it! 10PM finish.

For our cold snap tomorrow (highs in the low 60's - after being in the 80's today) I will have a nice quilt to snuggle under while I hand stitch the binding to the back. I'm sure a cat or two will be snuggling on this quilt with me. Sophie is already testing it out.

I did a free motion meander on the stars of the quilt. The outer border I did a loop and star as you can see here. 

I had only two issues with thread the whole time I quilted it. Not sure if it was the thread combo or the really soft flannel on the back but I am ready to pin another quilt and tackle it Sunday if I have time after getting some hedges trimmed and some carpets cleaned in the house.

Head on over to The Rainbow Scrap Challenge and see what other brown projects were worked on and then check out Slow Stitching Sunday for some great hand work in progress. 

12 comments:

Claire said...

The dark border sets the bright stars off quite nicely.

Quilter Kathy said...

Way to go!
I had to work really hard today but just finished the quilting and will enjoy binding tomorrow. Thanks for the challenge... it definitely motivated me to work harder and finish up!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on getting it done! It is chilly today, having a quilt to sew binding on sounds just about right. Such a pretty pattern!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Congratulations on your finish! I will be enjoying that next week, hopefully. I love stitching down binding a great time to reflect on all the work put into the quilt and what will come next.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Way to go! Nothing like sewing down the binding ... seeing the completion of another gorgeous quilt.

Angie said...

Love how this quilt turned out - what a zippy finish!!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

congratulations on the finish and it looks wonderful! :)

Sheila said...

Congratulations on another finish! The dark border and binding was perfect. Great quilt.

Ellen said...

Great work at getting it done and your quilting looks really good!

Moneik said...

Awesome! So glad you were able to get it completed. I love when challenges are issued and I have a deadline to meet.

Cathy said...

Oh, Deb, that is sooooo cute. Great choice of quilting.

CathieJ said...

Beautiful quilt. I love the secondary square pattern.