Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Solar Eclipse....

We got a 85% eclipse where we live yesterday. The kids got out of school and home before the 'main event'.

We were able to try a few things to see the eclipse without the glasses.

Boxes to see the reflection. I know the boy is standing the wrong way but he did make it work.


Through crossed hands with space left for the sun to shine through. - little half moons there.


Through leaves of a tree.


Through a colander. I thought this one was the best personally, little half moons!

It got slightly darker here like when a storm would be rolling in but was still very light at the peak time of the eclipse. Such a neat experience and I'm so glad I got to share it with my kids. We had scouts last night.... unfortunately a lot of the girls were unable to witness it or view it. I know mine got to see it happen on tv out in Oregon in their classrooms at school and we did watch a bit on tv yesterday while it was going on. A few of my girl scouts did not see anything about it yesterday and did not get to experience it. Such a shame. It was a perfect opportunity to teach about science and get the kids excited about our world around us.


2 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

These were some cute ideas! We were to have 80% in my area and nothing really happened ( I thought it might get to be like twilight or something ) though I did watch it on the Net in Missouri where my oldest lives...he was traveling 2 hours to get to a totality location.

canuckquilter said...

A colander! I like that one :)