Sunday, October 7, 2018

Sunday.... Save the Bee's block.

Well, I technically joined in the Save the Bee's quilt along that Jacqueline Steves is hosting.... but have yet to finish a block!

The first two were applique... I did start the first one but it is not finished. I have the stem sewn down and back stitched the big part of the flower.... that's it!

I have a feeling block 3 will be the first block completed. I picked 8 yellows earlier this week and made my template and marked the sewing line.



 I am sewing these together by hand, then will turn the edges under (maybe basting like Kathy W did) and then will applique that to the background.

I had cut the 8 squares out... and then just did a scissor cut of guessing 1/4 inch. Yup... should have used the ruler to cut that but it worked.




I got 7 sewn together... and for the life of me I can not find the 8th one! I cut another one out this morning and marked it... so you know it will turn up shortly!

I plan to attach the last hexagon today and while in the sewing room later will use the iron or the herra marker to turn that edge under so I can hand stitch it to the background.

First... I need to run to the girl scout store and purchase a few badges. We took the girls to the Fire Station for a refresher on first aid, emergency situations... and what the fire house guys really wanted.... to play with the water and fire hoses! Each girl got to hold the hose and spray water.. then they put the one from the top on and got almost all of us soaked! Yes, we knew it was coming and had prepped the parents and girls.  This is what it looked like! We are in Florida... so the temps were still in the 80's or upper 70's that evening while we were there.





We will finish up their badges tomorrow with a little more review, making a first aid kit and reviewing the last couple of things for them to earn their badges and pins.




Emily was in charge for a minute - a big shout out to Craig and his crew at the Fire station for inviting us over. We went 2 years ago and I hear there was some pouting since we didn't go last year... =) We scheduled him right off to make sure we got a chance to go over there this year.

Sharing a photo I snapped this week after dropping the kids to school. Yes Mom, I pulled over to the side of the road to take the photo!






6 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Love how you made your hexie template! Your hand stitches look great holding them all together... I wish I remembered I had that hera marker to turn under edges!!! lol...Love your helper kitty shot too. Good luck to your dd and the other scouts on getting more bling earned! Looks like fun :) I love that sunrise shot you pulled over for !!!! Kathi

Kim said...

How happy those pretty yellow hexies play together. Looks like a fun excursion to the Fire Station. A glorious photo of a beautiful sky!

Little Penpen said...

What a beautiful photo of the sky you got! I've seen the Save the bees blocks here and there and it is a pretty project. Enjoy!

AnnieO said...

I would look under the cat for the eighth hexie, lol.

Deb A said...

I did. He didn't have it! =)

Quilter Kathy said...

Yippee you almost have a finished Save the Bees block! Isn't it fun to do hand piecing?!? Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!