Thursday, January 3, 2019

Quilting frame...

I have the 90x90 trip around the world quilt on the hand quilting frame. It has been sitting there for a very long time, poor thing. It seems when the kittens arrived back in February .... they kinda had fun playing on and in it. I have been avoiding checking to see the real damage.... but today I took a look.

This is the result. Lots of rips in the batting. Sigh..... Looks like I will need to do some stitch piecing of it before I roll the quilt. For now... I'll just continue the hand quilting and deal with the 'fixing' of the batting when I get to the turn.

Ongoing solutions? Hmmmmm. I might find a long PVC pipe or see if there is a cardboard roll in the middle of my warm and natural batting roll to maybe roll the remaining batting onto... and then cover it with something  when not in use so the cats don't get to it again. I just pull it to the front and put on top of the quilt and then cover it with another finished quilt. Keeps the cats off from it for now.

I have 'stolen' my quilting chair back and will go put a few stitches in while the house is fairly quiet.

Kids had their first day back to school today - all went well. They got their teeth cleaned and no cavities. Dinner was ready in the crock pot when we got home - chuck roast with potato, carrot and onion in a yummy sauce (cream of mushroom soup, lipton onion soup mix, brown gravy mix and a little water). Time to relax. I have been doing hand work all day - and 17 red hexagon flowers are all basted and ready to get appliqu├ęd onto a black background! But that is for another day.

Mom - Since Aidan had his growth spurt last week he has been a little accident prone. Well, Sunday..... he was bugging Em at bedtime and she slammed the bathroom door on his toe. I nicely hollered for Greg to tend him (there might have been blood and you know me!) and I dealt with the door slammer. Tuesday he slammed his left thumb in the car door at Grandma's house and Wednesday evening he took a spill on the scooter and got a nice big bloody scrape right below his knee and on his foot where the leg meets it and then scraped the middle part of his leg.  Hopefully that was the last of the incidents after this growth spurt.... it usually take a week or two for him to get his balance back.


Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Oh My!! you have a lot more patience than I - I think the cats would have been given away or make sure a door was on the room and closed. I wouldn't have let them get in there like that. I guess I don't have much patience when it comes to pets - which is probably why I don't have any!!
Poor Aidan! feel for him

scraphappy said...

Good luck keeping the kitties off of the batting. I have to keep the door shut to my quilting room to make sure that the dog doesn't do something when all the batting is on the floor. I used to have a piece of PVC pipe that I propped on the table legs, but it went away at some point. Glad that you got in some hand quilting time. Looking good!

a good yarn said...

Battered batting and accident-prone Aidan. There's never a dull moment in your household! TOTW is a stunning quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my... those kittens had lots of batting fun!
Glad to see the quilt is getting a few more stitches!