Tuesday, October 14, 2014

RSC Sampler - Sarah's Choice

Time for a RSC Sampler block in the black color way! I selected the block called Sarah's Choice from Jennifer Chiaverini's Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts. I just love the Elm Creek Series - it is a great series of books revolving around quilting if you are looking for something good to read.

I've modified the cutting instructions to use the Easy Angle Ruler and the Flying Geese ruler. This allowed me to pull from my 2 inch strips for all my parts. I used three fabrics - a grey, a black and a black print. The black print is my 'background' fabric. 

Background : A 2 inch strip at least 21 inches long.
Cut 4 - 2 inch squares. Cut 4 of the big geese part.

Light : 2 inch strip at least 12 inches long.
Dark: 2 inch strip at least 12 inches long.

Place the light and dark right sides together so you create the correct 'wings' with the flying geese ruler. You will need one of each color for each of the 'wings'. Continue and cut 4 more half square triangles. (Essentially cut 8 hst's and four split out to wings and four turn into half square triangles.)

Piece the four flying geese units.  Piece the four half square triangles into a pinwheel unit.

Lay out the block and sew together as you would a nine patch.


Your finished block should measure 6.5 inches and finish at 6 inches in the quilt.


4 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I really like the background multi color fabric as the background for the star!

Teresa in Music City said...

Way to step in and help Angela out Deb! Love your block!!!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love that block! I loved those Elm Creek books.

Kate said...

Thanks for filling in for Angela.