Thursday, April 5, 2018

Thursday.....

Today was the last week of bowling. My team was in first by 1.5 games to start and we were bowling the #2 team in a position round. It was a close first game - we lost by 4 pins. We needed to win 2 of the 4 games (3 games plus total pins for the last point). Somehow we managed to win games 2+3 and took total pins to secure first place again this year. Next week is our end of year outing at the Red Lobster where we get our winnings. I am happy to be done this year.... but will be ready to start up again in August.

My secret - I bowl much better when I have something to occupy my hands. During the 3 games I got all the cross hatching done on this yellow Dresden block.



I think this one will get and  X into each of the frame blocks to finish it off. I believe I will pull the pink one next..... and should get a start on that one on Sunday. I know there won't be any more hand work on this one tonight - I am tilling the garden (love my electric little tiller) and will require a long bubble bath with a good book tonight! First pass is done... then time to make taco seasoned meat for dinner. I'll run it again for a second pass after dinner and rake it up a bit. My first planting a couple of months ago of beans and peas got frosted and didn't make it. Will try again now that it is warmer and we should not get any more frost in April in Florida...although we have had some strange and cold weather through March. The roses like the weather though.


I have been thinking more about my heart challenge from yesterday's post. I went searching and found these two charm packs that asked to get used in this project. It is going to be tight on the heart shape for my 6 inch squares but I'm going to make it work! That is the advantage of needle turn appliqué! Mine will be scrappy colors and a white/cream background once I search and find something with enough in my stash. I believe I need 1.5 yards of background for my 31 - 6 inch hearts and 32 nine patch blocks. (I was seriously considering a black and red quilt with red hearts but might visit that one at a later time.) I am using the download #5 heart from the link in yesterday's post. #3 would make a great 4.5 inch block.


8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I certainly hope you do not get any frost in April but this is a weird year for sure! Saturday early, early morning we might get snow in Arkansas, I am on the northern end of the central region to the west and this is certainly unusual - my apple tree is in full blossom!

Chris said...

We are getting snow here again today. Nothing to accumulate. And night before last we had thunder and lightning and rain.
Are you using the coloured charm packs for the hearts on a 6 inch square? I have a whole box of black and whites that I cut into squares years ago then never got around to making the quilt. Gives me ideas.

Julierose said...

I don't usually like yellow that much---but your deresden is just so bright and cheery and looks beautiful--nice that you could quilt while waiting your turn...hugs, Julierose

SusanfromKentucky said...

We're expecting a light snow tomorrow morning, too. Hoping it will pass us by. Sometimes that happens, I think, due to us being near the Ohio River. Love the yellow Dresden and can't wait to see your hearts quilt. Congratulations on your bowling team's win!

Deb A said...

Thanks Susan! It may become two quilts.... that smaller heart fits into the bigger one and when I cut away the white backing it MIGHT become a second heart to appliqué down onto a 4.5 inch colored square..... I'd better really get that graduation quilt into squares or a top by the end of this weekend so that can be done and off my plate before May!

Deb A said...

I traced one out today... a little tight but it will work with needle turn appliqué. 5 inch charm onto a 7 inch square that I will trim to 6.5 inches for a 6 inch finished block. That gives me 2.5 inch squares to work with for my alternate 9 patches.

Deb A said...

Me too! I did sleep with the windows open last night and the nice chilly 48 this morning had me sleeping well.

Needled Mom said...

Your yellow Dresden is gorgeous - so happy looking.