Monday, July 16, 2018

Drafting a block....

Does something ever pop into your head and it just doesn't go away? I saw a quilt a few years ago (maybe 3? I remember I was up in VT visiting at the time) on FB - the hand quilting group. Someone was hand quilting a quilt for a friend/sister that they had found. No pattern or name given and I had never seen it before.
At the time I drew this on some paper....and finally found it in my photo's a few weeks ago. I do know that the corner part was a kite shape... I'm just not good at drawing it!

I found this block which is similar if I changed some of the colors around....but not the same.



Well, I saw it this morning and that prompted me to do some searching and no, I was not successful in finding the quilt photo. But... I do have The Block Book by Judy Martin with lots of fun shapes that people don't tend to use anymore.

Yes, I found a nice kite shape and cut it out on some paper... ok, I cut 8 of them then another 4 in the smaller size!


That led to laying them out on the counter, then tracing onto some paper (geez, why is paper so small? I had to add a bit to the bottom of the artist paper I found in the kids area!). I started with the kite in the middle - 4 of them. Then positioned 4 in the corner..... ok, not perfect but I made it work. I think I figured out how to make a 60 degree line with a ruler and the block took shape and is very similar to the memory I had of the quilt. It was done scrappy with the squiggle lines and the rest was a background in white or cream. I 'think' if I was to make templates, adding my 1/4 inch all around it might just fit together into a block.



Not sure if this will make progress anytime soon.... but at least I have a possible draft of the block to play with once it pop's into the 'must try this now' in my brain!

I have told myself I am not allowed to start anything until the dresden quilt is all put together..... oh so close to being able to add the last dresden to it's row and then put the 4 rows together.

7 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Sometimes I can't sleep because some block is floating around in my head! So glad you you are acting on this idea - it looks neat! ~Jeanne

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

you are amazing :)

SusanfromKentucky said...

I use graph paper to figure out blocks.

Moneik said...

I hate when I remember a pattern, but can't quite. I've started saving a lot of photos to my phone so I can look over them for inspiration.

scraphappy said...

Looks like fun. It is always a stretch to try to draft a new pattern, looks like you made great progress.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Interesting block!! My drawings are fairly equivalent to yours. TIP: I frequently use freezer paper whenever I need to make quilt templates.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That block is a beauty and hats off to you and the drafting! :)