Sunday, March 21, 2021

Slow stitching.

My little bit of hand stitching yesterday was making my hexagon and then I did add a little stitching on the Hand Pieced Quilt Along quilt quilt last night. 



I finally finished up a knitted dish cloth on Friday. It just stays in my 'busy bag' and I felt like knitting instead of hand stitching on Friday while Emily was riding. I just do a simple knit pattern for mine after casting on 4 stitches. Knit a row. Knit 2, yarn over, then knit to the end. I do this until there are about 49 or 50 stitches on the needles. Then I knit one, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together and knit to the end... until I get down to about 4 stitches.... or 7 like Friday when I had just enough yarn to finish it off at that point! I don't think the dishes will mind!




Linking up with the Sunday Slow Stitchers. I plan to prep some Harmony pieces for hand piecing, a few more hexagons for the week and then maybe some hand quilting today.

Instead of stitching on International Quilt Day yesterday, the kids and I went for a kayak paddle down the Rainbow River in Dunnellon Florida. It is crystal clear and fed by natural springs with a current that brings you down (minimal paddling needed!). We found a company that you park and they shuttle you a few miles up river with kayak, life vest, and paddle and let you go. You make your way back to their business where you are pulled up the bank and helped out and then you are at your car to continue your day! We went at 1PM (ok, there were 2 companies with similar names and we might have gone to the other one first... since I had a reservation I left there and went to the place I had called. I liked the idea of when you get back you are at your car option!). We arrived back at our car around 4PM. We decided to paddle up river a bit to see a couple of islands, but there were some people on jetski's with really loud music playing. We decided to turn around and let the current take us down the river while enjoying some beautiful scenery, nature and lots of birds and ducks. Oh to own a house on this river would be awesome! 













Someone might have forgotten to add sunscreen and wear a hat! I think Greg and the kids both walked by me last night and mentioned - boy, you really got a lot of sun! The polite way of saying you are red as a lobster and burnt to a crisp!














7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It looks like you had such a fun time yesterday, in spite of the sunburn! Such interesting views from your kayak. Hope you enjoy some more slow stitching today!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry you forgot the sunscreen and hat! it looks like you had a nice relaxing day and being dropped back close to your car is a plus - I wish I liked the water to enjoy water sports like that but I have a fear being on the water - I don't mind crossing a shallow river or walking on the edge of a lake - but I can not take the chance of getting dunked in the water - it terrifies me had a near drowning experience years ago

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like a great day! Was the river all "smooth sailing", as it appears in your photos? Sorry to hear about the sunburn, Deb!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Can't wait to see what you are doing with the hexagons. That kayak trip sounds like a lot of fun. When we lived in Missouri they had the same kind of businesses and everyone called them float trips. A great way to spend a nice afternoon for sure! Hope your burn isn't too painful! Somehow when your out in the water it is easier to get a burn, not sure about the science behind that

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love the water, Clay and I need to take a day trip to Rockport Texas - I love the Ocean breeze. Looks like you had a great day out and to me that is important with the kids! Hugs - like the hexagon block.

Karrin Hurd said...

What a beautiful and fun adventure you had! Happy stitching!

Maggie said...

Do your hubby use minty foamy shaving cream by any chance?Putting this on after a sunburn helps to make it better quicker? Love the river and it is a super idea for kayaking and just enjoying nature with the family.