Well, I played with some blue and made a little version of Magic Star top earlier this week. I realize I have the squares flipped the wrong way too but I didn't like how the 2 color looked with it the proper way. What if I added a dark blue border to make it a wee bit bigger and add some fun 'boy' fabrics to the back and make it a 2 sided quilt? I like it! I think it is around 40 inches.
I had to hit the store and get a few veggies Wednesday so I went to the 'big' Walmart for the first time since January I think. I have been to the neighborhood one with just groceries and essentials but I wanted to check out the fabric aisle. Let's just say... there were 7 FQ's and maybe 15-20 bolts of fabric in the whole cotton aisle...... That's it! I grabbed 4 fat quarters - baseballs and bats, doggies, dinosaurs and a cute red check with ants crawling all over it. Boys love bugs ..... well, all but mine does! Aidan took one look and told me to remove the ants... they might think they were real ants! He also asked why I was using his fabrics!
I was a wee bit disappointed by the lack of selection but that is why we have a stash! When the t-storm dropped my connection to work again Thursday, I took the time to shop the wall and pull some 'fun' fabrics. I found some Thomas the train, owls, horses, cats, red sox - cause I HAVE to add that in with my family!, turtles, pumpkins, bats, etc. It worked. I figured if I cut 16 fabrics of 10.5 inch squares it should make a fun 40x40 backing and I'll border it to make it the same size as the front. That way the kids (he has 2 older sisters!) can do some iSpy searching together.
So other than completely forgetting the back needs to be bigger to quilt it (can you tell it has been a while since I have actually finished something?) I am going to make this work!
I have no clue how to quilt this one.... I am thinking on the diagonal from the magic star side. I'll use warm and natural so it won't need much quilting. That is today's project - get it pinned and quilted and make and add a binding to the top.
I did manage to find a package of elastic while shopping so I plan to make a few more masks so we all have an extra one. I finished off mine and ordered some fabrics from Connecting Threads to make Greg a few more with just loops over the ears for working. They have to have plain so I have Aloe and Sage basics on order to go with the Publix green. It will also work as vines when I ever finish off the applique for the midget applique quilt... hopefully sometime this year now that I have my bias binding maker again.