Sunday, February 6, 2022

Birthday Sunday!

 Someone turned 14 today! He requested his Dad's cheesecake with raspberries. I went looking for cream cheese yesterday.... thank goodness Aldi had some since Walmart was completely out! He is 5 feet 9 at this point... and way too tall! (I'm a little under 5ft2 and now officially shorter than the girl!) Slightly shorter than his Dad but I'm sure he will be 6 feet by his next birthday and the tallest in the family. I might have mentioned he was too tall so he crouched down for me with a big smile!


I started this dish cloth in the car line waiting on Aidan for late pick up this week - when I remembered to put my phone games down! I tried the double moss stitch one from this free site. This will live in the car console for a few weeks as I anticipate 4 late pickups for him each week until the regional competition on the 26th. I think I got this yarn at Dollar Tree for a dollar. Should be fine to wash dishes with.


The chickens got some honeydew melon yesterday.  This is all 7 of them. Poppy is now done her molt and I got a green egg on Friday. All are laying again.


Lots of hand stitching going on! I finished putting the 4th section together this week. This is 4 sections laid out and is half of the quilt - 88x34. They still need to have the sections stitched together.


These are the sets of 4 hexagons that will make up 3 sections of the quilt.



These are the 'extras' for the 4th section. Just documenting so when I remember to prep these I know what I need! I need to add some and get these all into sets of 4 still. Looks like I need 4 yellow, hmmm how did I get extra browns? I already have a set of 4 together... oh well, 2 browns, 1 purple, 1 pink, 2 orange, 2 dark green, 3 light green, 3 light blue and 4 dark blue. I have brown, black, red and teal covered already.


I think my OMG for February will be to get these 4 sections assembled so that at the end of the month I will have all 8 sections assembled and then can finish them up in March. 














11 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Birthday to Aidan! Raspberry cheesecake sounds delicious! It's strange what empty shelves we encounter at the grocery stores - it's different every time. Your hexies look amazing together - such a great project!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

A very Happy Birthday to Tall--Aidan!!! and that cheesecake is a great birthday cake--yumm!!
One of the residents here went to 4 Walmarts last week looking for an ironing board--and found not one single one!!! so it is weird where the shortages are for what!!
take care--hugs, di

Karrin Hurd said...

Happy Birthday to your son! I went looking for Conversation Hearts several places this week for my grandson's class and 2 Walmarts were closed! Happy stitching and knitting!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy birthday to the boy! it is always amazing when the kids grow taller than we - I used to be the same size as my oldest but now that I am shrinking she is taller and the younger girl is closer and closer to my height - (because I am shrinking more!)
The cheesecake looks delicious - I need to shop tomorrow and wondering if I will find all I need at our stores someone else besides you mentioned the stores were low on things.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I hope the birthday boy, had a wonderful and grand day. The cheesecake looks wonderful. Your hexis are growing and they look fabulous. Happy quilting.

Julierose said...

Boy Aiden sure is tall! I am the "shrimp" of my family for sure, too. That cake looks luscious...I really like how your hexagons are coming together--this will be a lovely quilt...
I am sorting cut off triangles into lights and darks and working on the ankle portion of my 2nd sock slowly...stay safe down there--hugs, Julierose

Kim said...

That is one of the great things about blogging, we take photos and write about what we have done so we can reference projects as we work on them. Children always seem to outgrow their parents. My goodness Aiden is tall. The cheesecake looks utterly delicious.

scraphappy said...

Happy Birthday to Aidan! The cheesecake looks delicious. Dishcloths is a nice way to be productive in car loop. Sounds like you have quite a bit of car waiting to look forward to in the next few weeks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hoping the birthday boy enjoyed his celebration, Deb! You are making good progress on those hexies. I can't WAIT to see this quilt come together!

CathieJ said...

Happy Birthday Aidan! That cheesecake looks delicious! I love the color of yarn. Your hexies are looking so pretty.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Very handsome- and tall grandson!
Oooh double moss stitch, must check that out. Would it work for an afghan I wonder. Lovely hexies on the go too>