Friday, February 18, 2022

A long weekend (thank goodness!)

 I seem to live in my car lately and yet, the hand stitching is not making much progress. I am getting higher in a few of the games on my phone, though!

I found this little stack of nine patches in the drawer so added a couple of teals to the pile. These were using 2 inch squares.



I was playing with teal for the improv prompt of the table scrap challenge yesterday. I had this and then the other pile turned into the start of a placemat.




I added a grey to each side. Not sure I am completely happy with it. It might get some creative quilting on it or it might change completely between now and next Saturday!


I did prep a slew of the needed hexagons Thursday and got the purples and oranges stitched up. The orange just needs to get into the group of 4 still. I was waiting on pins for the 4 yellow ones but I should have them back in the tin after the ones stitched up yesterday. These should keep me busy for the hand stitching department. My 'hope' it to really concentrate on the memory quilt this weekend and make progress. It has been sitting way too long with me being nervous making it. So I'll institute the 'just do it already' mantra and work on it a bit Saturday, Sunday and Monday in between Robotics prep, cookie booths and anything else my kids come up with - oh yea - I need to figure out how to use the big telescope for next weeks girl scout meeting. 


On the way home from the second kid pick up on Tuesday night I pulled over and snapped a few photo's of the sunset. Earlier we were driving through an area with trees and the big ball of sun was making it look like they were on fire! (At least that is what Aidan said and seemed a little leery as I kept driving!)

It was a truly beautiful sunset and the photos do not do the sky justice. 

Another shot was of this guy in the back yard on Thursday afternoon. The chickens were making a ruckus so I went out and this guy flew right past me and landed on the fence. I managed to get a photo before he took off and away from the yard.



Linking up Saturday with the RSC where we are playing with teal/aqua and Sunday with the Slow Sunday Stitchers.

With a busy week - lets see what happened for dinners.
Monday - leftovers from the Superbowl snacking and a ham and cheese quiche.
Tuesday - corned beef and cabbage. I used my pressure cooker for the cabbage as I loved it cooked that way growing up. Seems Emily is my kid as between the two of us we nearly ate all of what I had cooked for cabbage that night!
Wednesday - I got the beef stroganoff started and left it at the point of adding the sour cream. I texted Greg and Emily when I left school (20-40 min away depending on traffic) and they had the pasta ready and the stroganoff finished when we walked in the door.
Thursday - both kids were late pickup (advanced band practice and robotics) so they all got Sushi (California Rolls) from Sams. Yuck! I had leftovers.
 I 'think' the horse evaluation team advanced from last weekends competition.... so I have a feeling there will be more practices for that in the future again. 

15 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are always so busy as always with the kids school routines. the outside sunsets are beautiful and that hawk!! love it I haven't seen any here in ages but hear them now and then

Julierose said...

Beautiful sunset photos--love those colors!!
Nice you were able to prep more hexies; I was able to cut enough hexies to keep me busy for a while...[With a little help from Sweet Baboo;))]
I am starting to feel better--MD said I was making progress and cleared me for beginning walks and stretches...thank heavens!! Hope you get some sewing time during this weekend...sounds like you had a very long week...TGIF
hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Wow, that was an amazing sunset! Your 9 patches will come in handy somewhere along the way - they're pretty in every color. Busy days with your kids, but they are involved in good things - that's so important at their age!

scraphappy said...

Love those sunset photos. They never look as good as the real life experience, but still stunning. Sounds like another busy week! Glad everyone is enjoying all their activities. It won't be long before they will be able to drive themselves.

Maggie said...

Leftovers for dinner happen here too, because of snow storms. We spent hours shoveling snow. Not lots of sewing happened. Love the sunset, they have been amazing this past week.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Glorious sunset photo, Deb, and some super cute AQUA/TEAL fun sewing going on!! Looking forward to seeing what happens with the improv for the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge.

Sara said...

A very busy week! But you managed to fit in a little aqua/teal fun anyway! Good for you! I remember well those days of leaving my classroom at the end of the day and hopping into the car to attend one of the kids' activities somewhere. Sometimes I miss those days, but mostly I don't. LOL

Kathy S. said...

I played with some improv stuff this week too for Joy's Table Scraps Challenge. I'm not 100 percent happy with the fabric I decided to frame it with, but it's staying. Too late for me to turn back now. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Jenny said...

Such a busy life you lead! Beautiful sunset photos, we have to be quick with these, I've found, and the colours fade so quickly. It's amazing what we often find tucked away in cupboards and drawers, will you be adding these 9 patches to your RSC projects?

Quilter Kathy said...

What a gorgeous sunset! Hope your mantra of "just do it already" works out well!

Ivani said...

Gorgeous sunset photos, Deb!
Looking forward to seeing your improv.
Love also the Hexagons photo.

Sandy Panagos said...

What a busy gal you are! So fun. Thank you for sharing the sunset pics. So beautiful.

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous sunsets. I remember those never-ending driving days. I seem to be doing some recently picking various grandkids up from school, or from swim practice and I will be doing more this week while my daughter is out of town and grandson needs ride home from swim at night, Happy stitching!

Kim said...

I remember well those days when one felt like a taxi driver. Good though you were able to sneak in a little stitching. How beautiful the sunset looks and how quick you were to capture the fellow flying in to sit on the fence for a minute.

CathieJ said...

Those sunset photos are beautiful. Your hexies are adding up. I like the variety in those nine patches. Enjoy these hectic days. Those phone games are just time wasters. I know, I have increased my scores significantly lately and then chastise myself for not enjoying some stitching instead.