Sunday, February 27, 2022

Sunday....

 Well, I have not seen the very disappointed boy yet this morning. After an 11 hour day at the FIRST Robotics competition yesterday we all are exhausted. They were extremely disappointed to not advance but we are trying to find the positive with him - your Lego Robotic run time increased from the last competition and you did much better on your project presentation. All in all, it was a great experience for them and they really have grown this year and learned to work as a team. Another positive - he was offered a spot in the AICE Robotics program at the high school he plans to attend. He was offered a spot in the AICE program already so will be in both programs next year. He plans to do something in engineering in his future. This was his team - Issac, Aidan and Payton. So far 2 of the 3 are in the AICE Robotics program... the 3rd one is waiting on a spot to open up.


With all that time yesterday I did not sit and take a single stitch while there. Too much going on and we were trying as the parents to make sure the boys were where they needed to be all day. Their Coach (teacher) had 7 teams there and the other Coach got pulled in as a Judge so it was all on him. 3 teams had Robot malfunctions so he was out straight trying to fight fires all day. 

Today is a prepping day - I'll be playing with interfacing and adding it to some tops so I can cut parts for a Memory quilt. Yes, not much progress but the pile of 6.5 inch squares is getting bigger. I just need to add more variety from the clothing provided and then I can start playing with layout. The goal today is to get all the cutting done.

I hope to relax tonight with some slow stitching. Since the month is nearly up, I really need to stitch down the teal butterfly before March begins. That will be this evenings task I think. I also need to finish up the red one from last month! These are called Erin's Butterfly and I found the pattern in Great Scrap Bag Quilts by Jan Halgrimson.


Looks like this week is advanced band extra practices after school for the girl for the upcoming competition. They had a concert for preliminary judging and more experience playing in front of an audience on Thursday evening. They did really well. I was impressed with how good they sounded as a Middle school band. 

Linking up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers



9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like a busy day - sorry the boys team didn't advance but sounds positive on being offered a spot on the robotics program.
Thank you on telling me how to find the girl scout cookies in my area - I was able to pick some up yesterday in front of a store I normally wouldn't go to - I was able to just drive up and put the window down and get what I wanted with the girls just putting the cookies on the passenger seat without me even leaving the car :) and me reaching the money over to them - the cookies are now in the freezer for another day

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, that is too bad about the robotics team! It is hard to be a supportive mom and dad to a disappointed kid - I remember those days. Sounds like he has a great robotics future ahead of him, though. Wishing you a calm and relaxing Sunday with some time for stitching!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely blocks. That robotics competition even does sound exhausting, and exhausting as a parent to keep their spirits up. Hope you have a better day!

Julierose said...

Too bad about the robotics competition, but all that experience has paid off for him for his next year;)))
Have fun working on your butterflies...I am stitching my Kismet hexagon rosettes this evening...hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How wonderful to be have the opportunity to learn, compete, and be part of a team. Love the butterfly blocks. Happy quilting.

Ray and Jeanne said...

You all had a long day yesterday. The rewards of the day will definitely show up in the future but these young men don't know that yet. Someday each of them may look back and recall something the competition taught them. They have to be good since 2 of the 3 are already on high school teams for next year! And now it's time for band... Enjoy! ~Jeanne

CathieJ said...

Competition days of any type are always long and tiring. Your son must be doing something right to get in those programs despite not having his team advance. I hope you were able to finish those pretty butterflies. Have a great week!

Quilter Kathy said...

Such pretty scrappy butterflies! Hope you had some time for stitching!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats to Aidan on being offers a spot on the H.S. team for next year!!