Friday, December 23, 2022

Florida Museum of Natural History.

Thursday was a Mom and son day. We headed up to Gainseville and visited the Florida Museum of Natural History on the UF campus. The museum is free but we did pay the extra in the afternoon for the Butterfly exhibit and the fossil exhibit. We enjoyed both but the butterfly exhibit was our favorite! It was chilly for the butterflies so they were not flying much and it was a search mission to see them hiding on the bushes. We got to see the 2PM release of the ones that had emerged in the lab and I had one that decided to land on me for a while! It was interesting to learn of the different species and the color camouflage and what it means. Here are some sunny photo's to offset the bitter cold that is happening around the country.
























Does anyone else remember doing the punch bug when you see a VW beetle car? I might have started that a couple of years ago with the kids. I sent this photo to Emily so I could her when we got home! Someone has a sense of humor at the museum when they were showing the categories of beetles!


While we were gone, the elf decided to do some climbing! 



Our lunch break, Aidan wanted a burger and he was listing all the places to eat. Since he didn't want to decide and he mentioned The Cheesecake Factory.... I decided since we had never been, we would eat there! He got an awesome burger and a side salad while I had the lunchtime chicken alfredo. Yummy. Aidan is already planning to go back for the Art museum next to it... with a stop at the Cheesecake Factory for lunch! 






Seems the power is out a bunch up in Vermont and they are expecting freezing temperatures to hit by 4PM, so my office closed at noon. Once I logged off, Emily and I took Bear to the trailhead for a little walk before our temps take a dive here in Florida. We have a freeze warning, and it will get down into the 20's the next 2 nights with highs in the 40's for the next 2 days. I need to pop out and grab groceries for the appetizer nibbling on Christmas and clean and vaccuum the car this afternoon then finish the wrapping of a few gifts. Floors need mopping, dusting and vacuuming are needed throughout the house. Pretty lite for us this year for gifts. I'm trying to do 'experiences' as we have plenty of 'stuff'! I have something planned for the kids and I (and Greg if he is up to it!) for next week. I might take them bowling on Monday since I have the day off and I know the alley is open for open bowling. We might find something to do in Orlando next Thursday during the day as that is where our evening event is taking place. 
I'm happy to say my wrist is feeling lots better so I will be trying to pin that quilt later tonight or tomorrow morning. We will see how it goes.
Stay warm out there!


3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm glad your wrist is better - mine is worse! I have only been to the Cheesecake Factory once or twice -none local - I had pasta also if I remember right - I keep saying I need to go just for desert if I am ever there again!

Julierose said...

Aidan is getting so big! Looks like the butterfly section was a winner...
We have 40-50 mph winds howling outside right now and temps diving...when we leave tomorrow morning to go to my son's in MA [on the N>H> border] they say it will only be 17 degrees...brrrr...So looking forward to our family gathering--we haven't all gotten together since 2017!!
I hope your Christmas will be a wonderful one...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like a very fun day! It's so neat that you take the kids out separately to do things like that. Experiences and time spent together are the best gifts I think! Sorry to hear you're getting the bad weather, too - it has really been frigid here. Have a cozy holiday weekend!