Sunday, February 11, 2024

Slow Sunday Basting....

 I had great plans yesterday for yard work. Some got done and after 2 hours, my back was done. I might have added a little more this morning and helped Greg put the car canopy back up to protect my car from the unforgiving sun here in Florida. Let's just say, I know I have a back! It will be a bubble bath night again this evening, I think. 

Aidan was my helper yesterday and he did a great job weeding out back for me and moving some plants. He is helping Grandma today with hanging some things outside and I hear he will be raking up the mulch along one side of her house so she can have him put fresh down next weekend. 

I also had horses with Emily in the late morning and then Aidan drove me to the mall to return a sweatshirt he got last weekend with Grandma and to sniff all the candles at Yankee Candle and pick up his free birthday candle. I was impressed, we were only in that store for a little over 30 minutes! Aidan loves smelling candles! I picked up a couple that were half off - a spring meadow and a snowflake one for Christmas time. 


Today, I've got cocktail hotdogs and a handful of frozen meatballs in the crockpot with a jar of chili sauce and 8 ounces of grape jelly. It makes a yummy sauce for them! A dozen eggs got hard boiled as well, the ladies are providing 4-5 eggs a day now. We did send a dozen to Grandma as well. I think we all had eggs this morning too - I had a breakfast burrito and the other 3 made eggs with some kimchi. I made the mistake of taking the kids to Publix after school on Friday to pick up mozzarella and 2 pizza dough's for dinner that night. We had a lot of deli pepperoni since the boy used to put that and salami with provolone on a hoagie roll for lunch before the braces went on. They made a pizza and a stromboli that night for dinner. They got stuck in the international aisle for about 20 minutes. $50 later and I got out of the store. Seems all 3 of them like the kimchi, so I guess we will have to try and make it sometime. 


chickens in the shrubs.


colorful eggs - 2 lay green, the barred rocks lay the light brown and one rhode island red lays the dark brown one. 

The girls have been getting out of the run time this week. Well, today's was planned. They managed to escape a few times earlier this week. The zip ties we had disintegrated in the sun, and they had some openings in the wires. We have new zip ties and I think we have it secured again. We had fenced off an area by the master bedroom, since the dog used to get in there and terrorize the cats in the window and put holes in my screens. I decided to take the fence down yesterday - the dog seems to be a lot better now and it will let Aidan get in there to mow. It is a wee bit overgrown. The chickens love that area, so I am hoping they will scratch it all up for me. 

I'll be 'resting' the rest of the day and basting the cat and mouse quilt on the frame.  I think it will get done faster if I have it in a hoop in the living room. I am finding there are lots of cat nail marks and teeth marks, so I'll have a little fixing of some fabric to do. I'm hoping that washing it after quilting will close some of them up, but we will see.  The cats are very happy I am in there as their purring is extremely loud!

Linking up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers. Hopefully I'll make some progress on the hand quilting on this one for next Sunday!



4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hearing of your cat marks on your quilt that you are quilting makes me glad to have a pet free house - I would be furious to find holes in my quilts and hairs too. All of your cooking/shopping sounds good to me -not a fan of kimchi but ex-son in law loves it and got addicted to it when he served in S. Korea

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hope you're resting your back today! Yardwork can really do us in, too. Those eggs are so pretty! Some people in our neighborhood have chickens and when we walk by (their backyard borders the local park) some are always out of the fence. The other day it looked like they were making themselves a nest in the dirt! Hope you're getting some basting done on your cat and mouse quilt this afternoon.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sounds like a busy weekend, Deb! Best of luck with the basting and subsequent quilting of the Cat and Mouse quilt.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I have to admit - I love sniffing candles too. LOL. You have had a very busy weekend , Deb. Love the quilt you are working on; the mouse is too cute!!!