Thursday, February 15, 2024

Thursday already?

 Well, I of course did not listen to Diann when she said to rest my back. So, it still hurts a bit. I did not walk the dog Monday and Tuesday, and that helped but he really needed the exercise, so I walked him yesterday and this morning. Other than the initial pull from being excited for his walk, he has been good. I did call off horses this week and probably next as well to see if I can get it back to normal. 

Not much stitching has happened, I've been doing nice hot bubble baths at night instead! 

Meals (that ever troubling 'What's for dinner?')

I pulled out some pork chops from the freezer on Monday and had Greg bake those with roasted potato and green beans (rosemary herb on the chops, Montreal steak seasoning on the beans and salt and pepper and a drizzle of oil on the red potato's). I was picking up Emily from symphony band practice. His back is hurting after putting up the car canopy Sunday (aren't we a pair!), and his reasoning skills are off, so dinner was a little late. He read my instructions wrong. It was good when it was ready though! I had it all prepped on 2 sheet pans with notes written for times and what goes in when. 

The kids didn't want the Gordon's fish filets for dinner, so they got fresh salmon and Greg and I had the frozen fish. Spoiled kids. I emptied a couple of bags from the freezer with a little sweet potato fries and tater tots with veggies. 

Wednesday - I made a Mongolian beef and broccoli in the quick cooker served over rice. The kids finished their salmon (it was a Sam's club filet!) and then ate some of what I cooked. I was a little surprised there was only rice leftover! I guess they liked it. 

Today was going to be nachos and taco meat for taco's or salads... but then I remembered the chicken empanada's in the freezer and gave the kids the choice. Empanada's it is! Leftover rice and probably a salad for some veggies.

I did work on finishing the thread basting on the cat and mouse quilt and just took it off the frame! Lots of pins to remove it from both edges of the leaders. Now to decide where to place the hoop to continue hand quilting it!





A couple of the cat tears on the bottom edge of the quilt. I should be able to repair them up as they are small. I'll pin the back to the front, so the batting doesn't get torn while I am quilting it. I have the butterfly and cheese templates and my quilting thread and hoop. It's good to go!

Time to check the fryer - and get those empanada's cooking!




5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hope your back keeps getting better! That's no fun that both you and Greg are dealing with back issues. Your meals always sound so good! We did some salmon in the air fryer tonight and it was yummy. Your cat and mouse quilt is such a fun one! Hope there aren't too many repairs that need to be made and you can spend your time quilting.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love all your meal ideas - thanks for sharing them - I need to write some of this down and put it in the kitchen!! hope you both have ok backs in a couple days - I am not doing yard work today or tomorrow seeing as it will be colder anyhow - I will spend time sewing instead.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I have now reread or read you February posts, Deb. And caught up on your son's big birthday, the meals, the different sewing projects, all the tooing and froing of your busy family life. And dog walking too. Good thing your back is on the mend! You all have a great weekend.

Julierose said...

Just love that Mongolian beef recipe--on our list for this coming week for sure!! thanks so much for the link yum yum!!
I love your kitty/mousie quilt--just adorable...;)))
It should be fun to hand quilt...I am back to doing one short round of hand quilting on my Christmas Ojos #3--little by little...
Cold cold cold here with low wind chills--We went Big Y shopping early and it was soooo cold in their parking lot with the wind off the CT River there!!
Making one pot chicken soup for dinner in slow cooker tonight with soft rolls on the side...
Hugs for a wonderful weekend, Deb. Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that your back is bothering you, Deb! Congrats on closing in on a finish with the Cat and Mouse quilt. No, no, bad kitties! It's a shame they felt the need to do a taste test.