Monday, February 19, 2024

Weekend Wrap Up

 Well, for a 3 day weekend it has not gone to plan. Friday night, after getting the kids from school, Aidan decided to start hacking away at the 2 shrub roots that need to come out so I can pull the car into the car canopy nicely from the rocky parking area. It is a chore. Greg went out to put on my new wiper blades on the car and to twist in the 2 tie downs for the canopy. He managed to put his back out leaning down to put the first tie down into the ground! The man is in a world of hurt but would not go directly to quick care. Of course, it was evening, so the VA was closed. He decided to sleep on it, then wait until after we were back from horses on Saturday. So, a few hours at horses (it is 30 minutes away and tack up, barn time and they got a long lesson in the light drizzle then untacking), then a quick lunch and it was off to the Quick Care/ER for his back for a couple of hours. We were impressed with the doctor - who didn't even look at the computer but started asking questions to find the root cause. A CT scan later - and spinal stenosis (we knew), bulging disk (suspected) and a few other things we knew. A couple of shots and he was headed home. I did pick up a book to bring with me and I got a bit of progress on that!

Sunday - the kids headed to Grandma's, and I did a little cooking and some sewing. I made my Mom's tomato soup with 3 beefsteak tomato's sitting on the shelf going bad.  The tomato's with salt and pepper, then after warmed and breaking down a bit I added a little baking soda to bubble it up! (a half or tsp maybe?) then added the warmed milk and the cooked elbow macaroni. That's the soup I grew up with!


Then I really wanted cornbread, so I made that later in the afternoon with some chicken chili. I did head over to pick them up early for a little game playing. We did Domino's from double 6 to 12 and I managed to win one game. I think Emily kept going out on the other ones. 

For my time in the sewing room - I had picked out fabrics for my 3 red AT blocks. I managed to cut and sew 2 of them on Sunday. I think I will unpick the main seam and see if I can get the centers to match a little better today, before I cut and sew the 3rd block.



I had a few minutes before picking them up, so I started hand quilting the cats. I started with an arc fan in the bottom right, but took it out to do an outline inside first.


The rain stopped overnight after 2 days of pretty constant drizzle. The rain gauge indicates 2 inches, and it was empty on Friday night. Today is sunny and cooler for us - 50 degrees on our walk this morning with the dog. I had Emily walk him and I just went along. The first time he has been walked in a few days, so he is happy to get the exercise.
I have a feeling I will be driving the kids to school this week and Greg and his Dad both have previously scheduled doctor appointments. We will see if I am driving them both to those or not. 



1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Greg sure needs to get his back fixed he is having issues with it constantly isn't he - I bet surgery is needed and he doesn't want it