Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sunday Slow Stitching


The sight this morning when I looked out back and saw a few chickens roosting under the tree! They like to hang out in this area near the house where there is shade, water and they get to watch the people walk around in the house! 

I hand stitched a couple more sets of 4 together last night. I think this will be a good way to start putting this one together. I have been making one hexagon QAYG in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month this year. Teal/Aqua was chosen for August.


I had a roaster chicken that Aidan used for ceasar chicken wraps for school lunches a couple of days and I turned the rest into Chicken enchilada soup. It was oh so yummy and then we let the chickens have the carcass. Now that was entertainment watching them!


I have been hand quilting as well and for my 12 blocks with 8 parts in each block - not including that little center part - gives me 96 parts to hand quilt. I counted last night and was at 56. Mostly I have the edge ones to go at this point... any advise? I need to mark my 1/4 inch for the binding so I don't stitch too close to the edge. I know some attach a piece of fabric or tea towel. I'm feeling pretty good about getting this quilt finished this month for my August OMG.


 

Linking up with Kathy and the other slow stitchers

I'll be playing in the sewing room a bit. The boy and I made a quilt for him that ended up around 60x60. At the time, I mentioned he might need it bigger. No, this size is fine Mom. Well, that was 2 years ago and the boy is now 5 feet 8 and still growing at age 13. I think he will be 6 feet at a minimum when done growing! I will be making 4 more blocks with the edging and attempting to 'add it' to the existing quilt. I am thinking I will make a panel for the bottom and bind it, then whip stitch the two together. Does that sound like it should work? This is his quilt. 



10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

he is getting tall - how old is he? he might keep growing until about 18 to 21 I think. I don't usually put the ends of the quilt in a hoop if I am using a hoop instead of a frame I just hold it on my lap and finish it up the stitches might not be as uniform but if it isn't for show it doesn't matter to you

The Cozy Quilter said...

The soup looks delicious! Fun hexie project for the RSC too.

Julierose said...

You only have to turn around and they grow taller it seems; my twin grandsons tower over both of us!! I am not that tall to begin with, so now I am the designated "shrimpie" in our family...and soon, I bet, Willa and Fiona will be taller, too...and so life goes...

I love that photo of your chickens hanging out on that pole--so funny...;))))

Your hexies will look really great all together in the RSC colors of the month...

Beautiful day here--humidity evaporated--poof!! and so I will be sitting on our deck working on my hexies...
hugs, Stay safe and careful hugs, julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love the chickens all standing on the pole! I didn't know chickens would eat chicken. Glad you're making good progress on the snowball quilt. I bet your idea for lengthening A's quilt would work. It works for the hexies!

Karrin Hurd said...

My one grandson is 6'1" now and I think his younger brother will be the same. I love your nosy chickens wanting to see what is going on in the house. Your hexagons are lovely! Hope you have a great week!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh how cute is that--those pretty hens all lined up on a pole--just waiting to get into some kind of trouble or an extra 'treat'!!!! In New York there is a big Animal Sanctuary and they have alot of chickens but won't eat the eggs--they do cook them and then let the chickens eat the eggs--and maybe even the other animals--(they won't even kill rats that come into the main house--and no body can take meat on the property--I had a sister in law who worked there for awhile!!)
The hand sewing is looking good--
as are the hexies--
luv, di

AnnieO said...

The chickens look happy with their backyard situation!
My son is 6'4"--the quilt I made him was specifically sized to his request that his hands would not go outside the quilt if he spread them. It was enormous, lol.

a good yarn said...

Rows had to be added to my son’s quilt years ago because he kept growing. Do you think the chickens were concerned for the one in the pot?

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Love seeing your chickens enjoying the shade and your quilting is looking amazing. I always have to watch about getting to close to the edge on my hand quilting too. Great idea on marking where the binding will go. I will remember that. Have a great week and happy quilting.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You have a nice selection of handwork on the go, Deb. Regarding adding onto Aidan's quilt, Making and binding a panel sounds like a good plan (unless the quilt could unless it's getting ratty and needs replacing.) Wendy at The Constant Quilter uses what she calls "the potholder method" to make many of her scrap/orphan block quilts.