Thursday, March 10, 2022

Progress....

 I finished the 6th section of the hexagons last night. This one took the longest as I had to make a bunch more of the hexagons to 'finish' off the odd bits leftover from the end of the months... and add 4 yellows as February was 28 days so no extra's. The last 2 sections are already in sets of 4 so it should go together pretty quickly.


As I have been working on these I have noticed the last 2 months that threading needles and looking at the stitching up close to whip stitch together has been more difficult. I had an eye appointment yesterday. My last one was in 2018! Yikes, I did not realize it had been that long. I have prescription sunglasses for a slight adjustment on distance for driving. He actually backed that off slightly.... not bad for my 49 year old eyes! He did recommend slight help with the readers. I don't have eye insurance so opted to hit CVS this morning and picked up a pair of 'readers' for +1 as it said on my prescription.  $20 compared to over $300! I put them on when I got home and it does make a difference on the close up. I could read it before but it is just like bolding the type when I have them on. Makes the type a little clearer and crisp. We will see how it works later today when I do some hand stitching. They had about 6 pairs to choose from. I went with the purple ones. The blue ones were a close second.

I did pick up some more interfacing on my way to the appointment yesterday so I can prep a few more of the shirt material for the memory quilt. I hope to lay it out today after another hour or two of prepping and cutting. I am off next week and other than a few days at the beach with the kids, I hope to get this quilt sewn together and quilted and bound so I can get it to Olivia. She has waited way too long for her quilt. 

Time for a quick walk before it rains or gets too hot and then a shower and into the quilt room I go! I saw these wild turkeys last night on my walk before the rains started. I wonder if I will see them again today?




8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I've got an appointment next week for vision - I do have insurance but you still have to pay a heck of a lot for glasses especially when you need a lot of adjustment, a astigmatism and you want the lightest possible to sit on your nose. I haven't noticed much difference so maybe I can go another year at this prescription.
love seeing your turkeys and your hexies

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I do love those purple glasses--
I have prescription glasses cause my eyes are at different levels--I need near ones and distance ones too--
I don't wear them except for when I am sewing and reading--or if I know I will to help with street or road signs--though now everyone has that 'lady' who talks to you and tells you when and where the street and when to turn!!!
I got a quilt finished last night--hope to post about it later--need to hang it up and do a photoshoot first--
stay dry when outside--hugs, di

Julierose said...

And I thought after cataract ops I wouldn't need glasses anymore--think again!!
I can see without them, but not well enough to drive or read--now fighting with eyedrops for another condition--ugh!!
Yes, glasses are really expensive for sure--even frames are out of sight!! (no pun intended there!)
I like how your hexagons are grouped--very nice...
I worked a bit on my Kismet this morning and finished my first Rosette; I use a needle threader these days...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your hexies are coming together! I may have started a new one of those qayg hexie projects myself, lol! I'll have to share it on the blog one of these days. Glad you got your glasses figured out, too. It's good that there are options for not having to spend a lot on glasses. i can't get out of bed without putting my glasses on, so need the prescription ones, but buy them at Costco for a pretty good price. Those turkeys are fun to see!

loralie said...

I get readers at Dollar Tree. I can get a variety of colors, keep them in every room & not stress about losing or dropping them.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

I too have reading glasses for close up work, its really annoying but they do help massively.
Your hexies look brilliant - so colourful!
Jillxo

The Joyful Quilter said...

You sound almost as bad as me about the eye exam. Lucky you, to be able to pick up "dime store" readers!! I have to have prescription ones. Nice progress on the Hexi quilt and good luck with the Memory quilt!

Miaismine said...

Oh yes! It seems that as soon as I turned 40, I needed readers! I'm turning 60 now and use magnifiers! :) Your hexies are looking so pretty all together!