Sunday, March 6, 2022

Sunday....

 It is almost to a slow down timeframe in my household! After the go, go, go for the last 2 months I am not quite sure what to do with myself! Emily had her Advanced band competition yesterday which her Dad was tagged to attend and cheer her on. I was at a Cookie booth to sell girl scout cookies for our troop all morning. I have officially decided I am done and this is my last year leading a troop and I'll Juliette Emily next year. It was a scramble to offload the last of the cookies we had in stock yesterday. I have one more case of thin mints spoken for that will be picked up later today. I did drop off 14 boxes of assorted cookies to our Home Town Hero's yesterday - We donated them to our local fire station and ambulance crew. Lets just say there was a huge smile on their faces when I dropped off the box and said -'Thank you for all you do.'.

Kids are off to Grandma's house for the day - the first time in over a month I think! I need to do some cleaning (sigh, I've put it off long enough I guess!) and then I will have to finish cutting out the memory quilt things so I can get that sewn together. She really wants her quilt so I MUST get it finished for her. 

I will take some time later today to add more stitches to the Hexagon QAYG to get another section together. This is the one that I needed to add more hexagons to in order to have the right number to finish off the quilt. The Thomas the train and the bees make me smile on this one! I am itching to finish up the Hexagons so I can get back to hand quilting my Endless Diamond quilt in the hoop. 5 Hexagon QAYG sections completed of 8 - working on section 6 now. 


As for the butterfly's - I had a thought Thursday night and I think I am going to go with it. Instead of using fabric for the body of the butterfly, I am going to embroider it! We will see how it turns out. I did get some black embroidery thread so I'll give it a try and see how it looks. I also need to prep the yellow butterfly for applique to the background this month as well. It looks a little off kilter in the photo - and it is slightly higher on one end in the photo - but I'm going to leave it. When in nature is anything truly 'perfect'? 



Linking up with the other Slow Turtle Stitchers at Kathy's Quilts



14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think there comes a time for every girl scout leader as their own daughter is no longer involved in the club that the leader says ok time to hand this off to someone else - you have plenty to stay involved in I bet!

Quilter Kathy said...

Enjoy your hexies today and take a breather!
I should do some cleaning today too but I know I'll rush through it to get to the stitching!

Karrin Hurd said...

Sounds like you have a busy day. I think I only was cookie chairman for one year. Happy stitching!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Thank you for the years you were the leader--I know from reading your blog that you did alot for these girls even during the year long lock down with Covid--and I say thanks even though I did not have daughter in your group--my baby girl is 54!!!
It won't be long and you will be back into your old routine and having more time to play with the chickens, work in the garden and sew!!
have a great week--hugs, di

CathieJ said...

I never did Girl Scouts, but I was an officer in several PTAs and there comes a time when you just say "enough". I like your idea for the butterflies.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Like all moms, I was involved in lots of stuff for our kids when they were growing up (especially Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts) and knew when it was time to move on, too! Good luck on your memory quilt cutting, and wishing you some slow stitching time today, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm sure you will quickly get used to the slower pace of the non-competition months, Deb!

Kim said...

A whole day to yourself; how wonderful. Enjoy your cleaning and stitching time. I like the idea of embroidery for the body of the butterflies.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

A day to yourself sounds divine. I hope you get a lot completed. Your butterfly block is so pretty. I can not wait to see it with its' body. I am using black thread to embroider the antennaes on my butterflies too. I look forward to seeing the yellow one. Happy quilting.

Julierose said...

I hope you've enjoyed your free day--your hexies are looking amazing and that butterfly will look good with the black thread...Nature is not always perfect (just take a gander at my maple leaf for example ;D!!)hahaha
hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

Busy, busy, plus cleaning too. Always a lot happening at your place. I'm sure the firemen appreciated your gift of girl guide cookies.

Miaismine said...

Your hexie quilt is coming along nicely! I continue to make hexies, but am waiting to put them together for a bit. I like how you're doing yours in sections - smart way to join them! :)

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

your hexagon quilt is looking fab, the hexagons are just so cute :)
Jillxo

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I remember well those days of having cookies, Easter bunnies, take out lunches,etc. to sell as my two girls went through Brownies, Guides and then Rangers. We were all hopeless at sales too so that added dread to the events. You sound so on top of things really.
That butterfly block is so pretty and I think an embroidered body would be very nice. If I haven't already said so, I really like your Header.