Friday, June 8, 2012

Change in plans....

Well, two days now what I had planned to do turned into something completely different. Yesterday we started cleaning the house and we got a call from Miss Casey asking about a play date with her grandson Joey. I said, sure come on over. (Yes, the kitchen and living rooms got picked up, swept and vacuumed in record time!) They stayed and played for a couple of hours and the kids had lunch. Miss C was very surprised when mine ate strawberries with lunch and had watermelon for a snack.... I guess not everyone gives their kids fruit? Seemed strange to me. She was also surprised when Aidan pulled out all the leftover KFC and proceeded to put some of everything on his plate including beans, potato and gravy and coleslaw and ate them all. I guess I have good eaters. =)
Today I was thinking I would finish some paperwork and head to the post office and then maybe the library or bowling to get the kids out since it is another rainy day. I tried to send them outside to play this morning but Aidan came right back in and said 'thunder Mommy, we can't go outside'. So..... Grandma called and asked what we had planned for the day. She wanted to go see Madagascar 3 with the kids and it was playing at our local theater. She was concerned it would interfere with Em's nap at 1..... well, she is usually ok without a nap it's the other one that gets really cranky. Off to the noon movie we went. Me...... very nervous taking a 4 and 3 year old to a long movie when I know they don't sit still or be quiet. She has taken them before by herself.... a very brave woman. Well, I saw most of the movie - a couple of bathroom trips (so sorry for the nice couple on the end) and we survived the movie. It was actually pretty cute and I'm sure it will land in someone's stocking around Christmas.
Since I have not been in the sewing room and the binding just has one half of a side left..... I'll leave you with a picture of my hand quilting progress on the last Quilt Square Along block and a recipe.

This is a cake that I grew up with and I know just which cookbook to get it from when I am at Mom's house and when we are out at the camp. It lives in my special recipe book at my house! We call it a Crazy Cake... but my nephew Charlie was asking his Mom to make it and couldn't remember the name. From then on... it is called Silly Cake in our house!

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.

1.5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp Cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp vinegar (I use cider)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup water.

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then pour into a greased 8 inch square pan. I use pam spray.
Bake for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let cool. (That is the difficult part!)
The topping is a bit tricky but worth it.
Bring to a boil 1 cup sugar, milk to dissolve sugar and 2 Tbsp butter. Boil until a soft ball is formed. (I use a cold dish of water and drop a bit in until this stage is reached  - can also use a candy thermometer.) Take off heat and stir until it starts to thicken (usually a few minutes) and then spread on the cake. Let set for a little bit (if I can wait 10 minutes I'm good!) and then cut and enjoy.
Mine is in the oven right now..
I'm just waiting for it to come out so I can bump up the temp and put the popovers in to bake while the potato soup is bubbling away on the stove for dinner.
Have a great evening.


soscrappy said...

I am SO hungry after reading your post. Glad you found a way to hide from the rainy weather. It ever seems to stop lately.

Ellen said...

Yummy things are going on over at your house. I have been hearing on the news about all the rain Florida is receiving. Hope all is well at your place.