Saturday, September 4, 2021

RSC is Orange....

 I have yet to dig into the small orange pile this month. I know my orange is limited and I think I do have a few in a scrap bucket somewhere that I need to find. I knew this area was low so I added a few FQ's from a shopping trip earlier this year.


I had not included my Hexagon QAYG in my teal wrap up post. Here are the 31 from August. All but the bottom row is sewn into sets of 4. That leads me to the hmmmm what to do with the 'extra' blocks after the first 28 days! I think I'll tuck those 3 aside and when I have all the months sets of 4 together, I might mix and match the rest of the colors. Time to prep the orange ones! Linking up with the RSC.


I was laying on my bed after picking up the kids from school (tummy has been off for a few days) and saw this out my window! Aidan had gotten our broody girl Lily out of her nesting box - she finds the batch of eggs and lays on them every day! She decided his arm was a good roost and did not want to get off! Her red crown is not bright anymore as she is not laying.


I did make an order from Connecting Threads this week for some backing fabrics with their 15% off sale. It arrived 3 days later!  I loved the snowflake in grey - perfect backing for hoarfrost and I think I'll use it for my nine patch OMG this month. I should have written down my thinking as I planned 4 quilt backs out of this! The polka dot was fun and cute and I 'think' I planned that for a few smaller ones.  I'll have to search for my hand quilting batting to prep the next quilt. I know the OMG will use my warm and natural and be machine quilted but if I am in prep mode I might as well prep a hand quilting one as well. 

Hoarfrost quilt pattern by Canuckquilter



11 comments:

Marly said...

You have hit on a winner with your hexagons! You must have nearly enough for a quilt now! Super table runner; well done!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Maybe after your groups of four hexies are put together, the extras above each month's 28 could become a border? A puzzle to think about! Love the photo of Aidan with the hen peeking in your window, and great backing fabrics, too.

Sara said...

Those hexies are so interesting, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how you put them together. I have a big set of blue hexies in every shade from light to dark, and just can't decide what to do with them.

Chris said...

I ordered some wide backings too. I really should finish some tops so I can use them up. I love the teal hexies. Has it really been a whole year since you started this?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck getting your RSC blocks out of the available ORANGE scraps, Deb!!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Ahh-orange--I know I have some--just not sure how much--I just read Angies post to learn it is orange--so we will see??? Like the snowflake quilt top and that will make some pretty backing that you got in the mail for it--
have a great week end--
hugs,di

Julierose said...

Sorry you are having tummy woes!! Rest up--I always find that plain saltines help me over tummy troubles...
I like your oranges--looks like some nice hand dyes in there--
I am resting big time this weekend--am feeling a bit better thankfully...
stay safe hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I started to skim though blogs this evening after being gone all day - I had thought we might do orange - glad I was right.

Nancy said...

Your snowflake quilt is very pretty. I like your arrangement of the large snowflakes. The dot fabric from CT looks so happy. It's a good idea to layer and baste more than one quilt at a time. I can't seem to manage it, though. One of these days I'll get everything together at the same time so I can.

Canuck Quilter said...

I've had that backing issue too! Hmm, I bought enough for what? and how was that again? I'm sure you'll sort it out :) Love your little hexies.

Susie H said...

The hexis are really coming along and Hoarfrost is gorgeous! You scored really big on the backings. Good job!