Saturday, September 18, 2021

Slow Stitching Sunday

 I did add a few sets of 4 hexagons to the pile while at horses on Saturday. I need to prep more orange for this month and I have a bunch of light blues waiting to be stitched together into sets of four.

The rest of the day was spent trimming up the nine patch quilt and machine quilting the churn dash. That one got trimmed as well and then bindings were made.  Sunday I'll machine stitch the bindings to the top and start working on hand stitching them to the back. 


The nine patches got a straight line through the nine patches and setting blocks. The churn dash got a curvy line about every 3 inches or so from top to bottom.  Linking up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers. That purple binding.... might have gotten one section stitched 5 times before I got it right. Sigh... so much easier to make binding with a print with right and wrong sides. I managed to turn it wrong and then kept at it. The teal one went together perfectly! Now I have about 480 inches of binding to stitch. The churn dash will be first as I try and rest my foot by not being up on it most of the day like Saturday. I seemed to have pulled my achilles tendon in my left leg late Monday afternoon. I babied it Tuesday (laptop at work so I was able to work from bed with my foot elevated). Overdid it on Thursday so worked from the bed Friday afternoon as well. Let's just say... I know I was on my foot way too much Saturday - between horses, quilting and pressing, taking Em to the mall for leggings for her concert and then cooking off some southwestern egg rolls for dinner. Em took pity on me and put out the fall/halloween decorations and dusted for me.... so I could watch Hocus Pocus for the first time this fall.  


I snapped this after dropping the kids to school Thursday when it was foggy. Directly across the middle school is a big field the vet uses for horses. I think he is a breeder as there is usually horses with their foals in there. I think there were about 15-20 in there that day. A nice view of horses we get every school day at drop off and pick up. Sorry it is so distant.... I didn't have time to zoom in before I had to pull onto the road so it was a quick snap.






11 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Sorry you hurt your ankle twice in one week… good luck finishing your binding without anymore reworks! Glad you can work from your bed with the laptop!!! I love your hexi project progress … I love the foggy morning photo too! Hope this week brings no sore muscles and time to stitch down those bindings too! Congrats btw on 5 th time is the charm lol …. Kathi

CathieJ said...

So sorry you are hurt. I know it is hard, but you need to rest that leg. Don't risk a worse injury. Sit down today and work on those bindings. Love the foggy photo by the way.

scraphappy said...

I hope you can get that ankle rested up. Lots of binding stitching should keep you settled down for long enough to let it heal. Mom's are not good at taking care of themselves!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

take care - don't over due - easy to say I know and we all know how much running around is involved when kids are school age

Karrin Hurd said...

Hope you can heal up quickly, I know it is hard to sit still and heal. Hope you have a great week anyway. Beautiful projects you are working on!

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like you need an extended session of hand stitching bindings with your feet up? Luckily you have just the perfect projects for that!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Look at you go, Deb! Sorry about the binding challenges. Rest assured, it happens to all of us.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I think you rest that foot all day today and have the 'family' wait on you all day!!
wow--2 nice quilts just waiting on binding--that is great--
I forget are they gifts???
hugs, di

Maggie said...

Love the horses and the pasture. Two quilts getting binding is a fantastic week and finish.

The Cozy Quilter said...

It's so hard to slow down and let yourself heal when you are used to being out and about and busy! I hope your ankle is better soon. Good thing you have lots of hand stitching to do in the meantime.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh no on your achilles! I hope you were able to rest it today. Sewing binding sounds like just the thing to do. I love solid fabric as a binding, but I have messed up the construction of it many times!