Sunday, November 21, 2021

Slow Stitching progress on Snowmen....

This is the progress shot this morning - 3 of the 4 blocks are hand quilted! 


 I finished off this 3rd block last night. I decided to continue the X in the corners since I did that in all the other blocks... and had no clue what else to do there!

Block 2


The first block that I started on last weekend.

This is the one I will start working on shortly. First - I think I will make a batch of scones for breakfast. Everyone is sleeping in the house but I still wake up a bit after 7AM every day! I am wanting cranberry orange... but have no orange so I think I'll make my yogurt scones and do some with blueberries on top and some with dried cranberries. The recipe I use is in my recipe tab - I got it while up in Vermont from a bakery that used to be in Cabot. They are really yummy... and I happen to have plain yogurt in the fridge today!


I have been working away at my brown hexagons this month. I prepped a slew of them last weekend and will need to prep the last bunch later today. I have 2 in sets of 4 and 4 in sets of 2! These are a nice quick project once they are all prepped and ready to pick up by my recliner or in the car line or at horses with Emily. I have been making one per day this year (only a little behind this month!) in the color of the month going along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I decided November was brown for me and will hit black and grey next month.

After stitching the 'binding' down and doing a quilting stitch about 1/4 to 1/2 in from each edge, I am whip stitching them together. Linking up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers.

The boys had an early morning yesterday and did a fishing charter out of Crystal River. They were to go out in the gulf but with the cool front going through and high winds, the guy called Friday night and asked if they wanted to reschedule or just stay in the rivers and catch and release. They opted to go and do the rivers. 5 hours on the boat and they had a great time! They were catching fish like crazy and did manage to catch a few to take home. The captain filleted them and put them on ice in the little cooler they took. They are in the fridge now - but might get frozen today for a meal later this week. Not sure what they caught - Greg has the few photo's on his phone but I think they were red grouper?  They saw lots of wildlife - pelicans and tons of birds and even a manatee or two! 
I spent the late afternoon working on the pantry! Emily came in from chicken duty and is very particular on how things should be so she ended up taking over but I was not allowed to leave the kitchen and was organizing things into groups as she took them out and then handed them back over as she decided where to put things. Someone might have dumped Hershey's cocoa powder in there so there was a bit of a mess to clean up - I got the sweeping and mopping duty.  Aidan looked in there last night and said there is nothing in there! Sigh - their 'snacks' for lunches were gone for the week.... so Em might have made a batch of brownies last night for their nighttime snack! Now I know what I have and what I need (heaven forbid there is only ONE can of corn in there.... but 6 chick peas!) Did I mention my girl loves corn? Someone figured baking would happen this month so Sam's size flour, sugar and powdered sugar are at the bottom and out of sight are the big bins where I keep the 'open' ones. I'm guessing about a week before it is all messed up!  

The kids are off school this week as we celebrate Thanksgiving here in the US. I took my 15 pound turkey out of the freezer and put him in the fridge on a platter Friday night. I hope he is not still frozen Thursday morning! Have a great stitching week everyone.

I'm going to try this Cinnamon Apple Cider Bread today too - I have cider in the fridge that is not going down so this might be a good place to use it! 

12 comments:

Denise :) said...

Your snowman blocks look great!! The scones sound yummy...I may have to check out that particular recipe!! I love the picture of your pantry ... it made me laugh! We pulled our turkey out of the freezer Saturday; fingers crossed on thawing in time! Your guys' fishing expedition sounds like fun!! Happy Thanksgiving, Deb ... and have a great week leading up to it!! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Great progress on your snowman quilt! That's a cute one! Glad they had so much fun on their fishing expedition, and that everyone could be flexible with where they went. Hope their fish makes you a tasty dinner this week. Have fun with the baking this week, too!

Angela said...

Your snowman quilt is looking great! Way to go!

Rebecca said...

I could use a pantry fairy!!!
An upright and a chest freezer fairy!!!

Its funny what you find and don't find when you pull it all out and put it back!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the snowmen blocks look great - sounds like a nice fishing trip and I really need to organize my pantry!!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects, and how nice you have a pantry fairy! Happy Thanksgiving and hope you have a great week!

Julierose said...

Love your cross hatch quilting on the snowmen..so pretty...sounds like you had quite the busy day!:))) My Dad and my Godfather (my Mom's brother, Uncle Julian) used to go fishing one Saturday a month when I was growing up--the big joke was that Mom and I would go to the fish market to buy fish for dinner--as they never, ever could catch anything haha--but they had a great time floating around in their boat and drinking beer!!) that's my fish story...;)))
hugs julierose

Kim said...

Sounds like fish and a lot of turkey on the menu this week. =) Wow...that is one big turkey! Those scones sound delicious. A clean and tidy pantry...lucky you. Your snowman blocks are looking great. Enjoy your Thanksgiving celebration...and that turkey.

CathieJ said...

I wish I could see what I have in my pantry closet. It is a straight closet with deep wooden shelves. Not really conducive to easy access. I love your snowman quilt and your hexies. I immediately looked up that scone recipe. My mother likes scones and I think I might make some for her soon. The apple bread recipe looks tasty too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great collection of brown scraps, Deb! Sounds like the guys had a a wonderful outing. Any chance you'd rent out your girl to come help me organize my studio? As a bonus, I would let her to my pantry, too! :o))

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your snowman quilt is looking fabulous, Deb. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving . Apple Cider Bread sounds very yummy. Happy quilting.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your hand quilting project... perfect to be stitching at this time of year!