Thursday, May 18, 2023

Progress and foot pain

 It is almost summer, so for some reason I get foot issues! Very frustrating. My heel started hurting after Easter - probably from being barefoot in the kitchen all day on hard cement floors. I did lots of research the last few weeks and found a stretch - similar to the one when I had the Achilles issue. Point the front of the toe towards you to stretch the muscle that runs along the bottom of the foot. I also found this shoe insert that still feels a little strange but oh boy, does it really help with the pain! I got mine off Amazon.

Samurai Insoles' Ninja Orthotics- Quick Relief for Plantar Fasciitis



I've also been wearing my sneakers in the house, (new ones, I got a pair of Ryka's the end of April and within 3 weeks they were falling apart, and the soles were all gone! I got a pair of Asics and they are not melting on the pavement! Yea.) Rolling a golf ball under your foot amazingly helps a lot as well, when the dog is not trying to get that ball from under your foot!

I have been working on hubbys quilt repair. I have unpicked all but one block - and I'm leaving that one since the quilting on it looks fine and is not pulling out. I have hand quilted almost all of those unpicked blocks and I think I have 4 left to quilt. I have gotten a bunch done the last 2 nights listening to my audible book while quilting. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it, but then I could not turn it off! The Darkling Bride by Laura Andersen. I finished it last night around 11:15PM!

Time to head into the sewing room and see what trouble I can get into with orange scraps.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I run around the house barefoot all year. Sometimes I remember to put on sandals and they keep my feet warm in winter. I have a spiky foot roller thingy under my table that is fun to play with when I remember it is there. I bought new slip on sneakers recently that are very comfortable. They were labeled vegan.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry to hear about your foot pain, Deb - that's no fun! We've had to deal with that here, too. Sticking your foot into an ice water bath (for as long as you can stand it, lol!) helps, too. Hope you get a chance to play with some orange scraps today!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I don't have pain as such but I do have plantar fasciatis so I've had to do a number of things to control it. Like foot exercises and sneakers that are known to be good for it. I also now wear a spacer between my big toe and the next overnight and that has helped a lot. I always have foot aches with certain summer sandals...wish I'd known then more about this issue I could have been preventative. Do you happen to have Morton's toe btw?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

going barefoot for years is what has done in my feet - I used to be able to do the foot stretches and now I can't or my feet will immediately get cramps in them! I have to use shoe inserts also and can no longer go barefoot. I hope you find what works for your feet.