Saturday, May 20, 2023

Repairs are finished!

 I finished the last bits of hand quilting on the Labor Day Quilt I had made for hubby years ago. There was a lot of thread pulled out of this quilt! The 35 blocks have been hand quilted now, going around the design. I have warm and natural batting in this, so it does not need much quilting to hold it together. The binding was already fixed, and I think I have patched up all the little holes from animal teeth or claws. It will get a turn in the washer and dryer Sunday morning and then hubby will be happy to have it back. 




I think I'll work on adding some cross hatch in the Frosty McChill quilt. I have done some machine quilting on it already but wanted to hand quilt around the design and add some filler in the background area. I just moved the binding fabric for this - must remember to put that onto the cutting table and make the binding for it so it is ready to go.


One week left of school for the kids and we have one more awards ceremony for Emily's 8th grade this week. She played clarinet at the high school graduation early Saturday morning. 

We have some additions to the family. We still have 3 chickens that are 3 years old and laying. Emily has been bugging us to get more.... so we got 4 chicks on Friday night. 2 easter eggers and 2 Rhode Island reds.

From left to right - Ivy (Poison Ivy name from Aidan and given to the most noisy one!), Eggnog - an easter egger, Buttercup and Blackberry - the other easter egger. It will be interesting to see what color eggs the easter eggers will lay. They are crossed with a blue laying egg breed, so it could be brown, white or any shade of blue or green. Our current one, Poppy, lays the best green eggs. The RI's will lay large brown eggs. Our current 2 Plymouths lay large brown eggs. We get 2-3 eggs a day and it will be 5-6 months before these ladies will start producing eggs.




These two are content to just fall asleep in your hand! Buttercup and Blackberry. The dog was too curious, so they live in the sewing area/my office area which can be closed off from the dog.
Since they were moved in there and it is a 'collection' area of anything and everything from the rest of the house, I spent some time with Emily going through things. 3 garbage bags of things discarded, and others put in a proper place. A stack of now empty containers of all sizes and more room to walk around.... or sit and watch the chicks! The best news.... I didn't find any new projects! 
Linking up with Kathy and the other Slow Sunday Stitchers.



11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt looks good and those little chicks are so cute!

Astrid said...

Well done on repairing the quilt. How do you repair holes from animal teeth and claws? It looks like a very soft and cuddly quilt. Love your Frosties, perfect blue fabric for the sashing. Congrats on the new family members! So cute!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great job on the repars to your husband’s quilt. I always love to see the quilts that I make being used. The snowman quilt should be done in time for winter. The chicks are so cute! I would live to see their colourful eggs when they start producing.

Julierose said...

Good deal finishing those repairs on your DH's quilt...I am still sewing charms and will be for quite a while, I think. I have to do the rotary work a little at a time to save my hands--I wear my wrist/hand brace to do it and it helps a lot. Hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I bet you're happy to have the Labor Day quilt all finished so you can move on to another project! The Frosties look great with their blue sashing. Cute little chicks -so fun to see them!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great fix on the Labor Day quilt. I love the Frosties with the blue sashing. Those chickies are adorable.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

A happy hubby is always good and also the finish of a project--so you got '2' wins there!!!
I was just thinking this morning about where you where on your Frosty quilt??
I have mine almost all hand basted--just one more row to do--
but it will be while before I can hand quilt it--I have a large beach scene to do first!! But at least I will have one ready and waiting this time ( have not had a basted top ready when I finished the last one--so have not done any hand quilting in a month or more--shame on me!!!!
love those new baby chicks--how lucky you are to be able to have space to raise them--enjoy them--hugs, di

Ivani said...

Labor Day qquilt looks great, you did a great job on this one.
Sounds that Frosty quilt will be ready por Winter time this year.
Those chickies are so cute. Have a great weel, Deb.

Kim said...

Well done on the repairs of your husband's quilt. I love that it is a favourite of his. Those chicks are sweet. Fabulous names. I especially love Eggnog. Oh dear, when you mentioned your dog was a little too curious I did wonder. Good news the chicks are safe and sound.

CathieJ said...

You've done a great job fixing your husband's quilt. Those chicks are so cute.

Quilter Kathy said...

Good for you to do the repairs on a much loved/used quilt to continue it's use! i have a couple of quilts I keep saying I am going to fix, but I haven't done it yet!