Tuesday, June 13, 2023

A little progress...

 I have not been able to get my wedding ring off for years. It was starting to cut off circulation at night (sigh, trying to lose that 20 pounds is hard!) so I finally went to the firestation after work yesterday and had it removed. I had called a jeweler and they recommended going there as they are better qualified. I'll have them resize it for me after my finger gets back to 'normal'. I am travelling to New Orleans tomorrow with the girl scout troop for a few days, and with temps of mid 90's and the heat index I figured swelling would be worse, so I got it done. My advise - don't wait as long as I did! They had to try 2 jewelry cutters and then had to grind off some of the smaller cutter to get between the ring and skin. They did try the shoelace and Pam spray first, but that did not work. My finger is still tingling at the tip. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the divot from the ring to go away.



The borders are on the twin size quilt. I'll have to really work on this one next week to get it pinned and quilted before heading to Vermont.


Aidan's rose. This one has not opened up yet. Such a pretty color.


I probably won't post again for a week with the travel. I'll be packing some yarn and knitting needles for the 'off' times with the girls, if there are any.



6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

OMG I have never seen an impression that deep on a finger from a ring. You should have taken that off years ago. I remember my mother in law had to have her ring cut off before a surgery once because she couldn't get it off - she was hysterical and didn't want them to cut it. I stopped wearing my ring at night years ago because of finger swelling and then got to the point of not wearing it in the summer because of that - now I just rarely remember to put it back on.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Getting your ring off sounds like quite an adventure! Hope your finger feels better quickly. The star quilt is looking just beautiful! Have a blast in New Orleans!

Julierose said...

Boy that is quite the indentation from your wedding ring!! Hope you don't have any problems...
I took mine off when I got pregnant for my first child and it hasn't fit ever since...s i g h. And so it goes...Hope your trip goes well and safely
hugs, Julierose

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Ouch Deb. Yup the humidity will make the body and hands swell.! Take care of you. Hugs

Ray and Jeanne said...

Oh, I hope your finger gets feeling normal soon. I agree, you might have waited a little long to get that off but don't we all do things like that?. So glad you have the ring off now. Enjoy New Orleans! ~Jeanne

Florida Farm Girl said...

It'll take a long time for that indentation to go away, if it ever does. I had to have my rings enlarged too when I gained weight. I can't wear one of my favorite rings now because I can't get it over my arthritic knuckle. If I got it big enough to fit over the knuckle, I'd likely not be able to keep it on!