Saturday, June 17, 2023

New Orleans

 I'm in New Orleans with the girl scout troop in excessive heat with lots of walking. Most of the girls are having a great time.

We (me and another mom) drove us here in two cars. We left around 5am Wednesday morning and arrived a bit before 4pm. Thursday, we walked to our bus tour of the city, which was wonderful. We learned a lot and got to see the first levee breach area of Katrina back in 2005 and hear from a local first responder who was our tour guide. We walked to Jackson Square and had our packed lunch. Then popped into the church for some cool air. We walked to the next stop, New Orleans cooking school. I think this is my favorite activity. We ate while she cooked! Gumbo, jambalaya and pralines! 




Then it was a 25 minute walk (heat index in the 110+range and humid) back to the condo... with 48 stairs up to our level. No elevator!

Relaxed in the ac for a bit and I got a cool shower and change of clothes. Then it was 25 minute walk to the ghost tour to check in. A 2 hour walking tour around the French quarter, then the long walk home. Yes, 23k steps Thursday. My foot was killing me!


Friday we got a later start as there was lots of girls giggling into the night. We did the world war 2 museum, which was wonderful. Then on the way to Mardi gras world, we did a detour to Gus world famous chicken as the girls were hungry since some did not pack a lunch. I tried fried green tomatoes and has a bite of fried okra. I would do the tomatoes again, pass on the okra! Big thanks to Hailey for letting me try one from her meal! It was a hot walk but we made it in time before they closed. It is a must see! We got king cake and then wandered around the warehouse. 






We were able to reschedule the other 2 tours out a day and then cancel one with no fee. They were on the other side of town.  We are scheduled to do one ghost tour tonight at 5pm. I hope my feet can take it! I paid for the Uber for us back to the condo. Best $20 spent in my life for 2 cars. Also my first Uber! Another 30 minute walk would have killed me. 

Today we are paring the plan way down and probably only doing the French quarter for shopping at the market and the tour. We are dropping  the city walk. It is heat index in the triple digits again today. We drive home Sunday. 

Posting from my phone. Have a great weekend! I think I'm scheduling a foot pampering for Monday!


4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That sounds like a lot of humidity, a lot of walking, but also a lot of fun! There's so much to see there. The cooking lessons would be really interesting, and sound yummy!

Julierose said...

Yikers what a schedule--I give you kudos for sure!! Sounds like a great trip. Hugs and take care of that foot...Julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my all that walking and in the heat--You sound though like you have enjoyed what you did see and if you ever take a group again--I bet it will be a different time of the year!!!!
stay safe--hugs, di

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh to be young again and capable of trekking around like that. Been watching the weather in that area and it looks awful. I had enough of that growing up and living in NW Florida. Glad you all had fun, though.