Monday, June 19, 2023

Recap of New Orleans trip with the girl scout troop!

 We made it home safely last night around 8:30 to my house... 8:15 to the church we meet at. We dodged all the storms and I only had a little rain to drive through at a few spots in the Panhandle. It was a long drive- about 8 hours. I think everyone had a good time and the girls made a lot of memories. We got to try some new things for everyone. I was in my first and second Uber. After 24K steps the first day in 113 degree heat index, on the second day after 10K steps I was happy to hand the other Mom $20 to pay for 2 Ubers back to the condo for everyone. We got one the 3rd day as well, since the scooter the main leader was using died again and we Ubered back to the condo. What a job - drive around and pick up people and deliver them. So thankful to them.... the driver the first day is STILL my favorite person ever! He thought I was nuts but oh my, he saved us all between the heat and feet. It was my first time setting foot (or driving through) Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Our car had 4 girls.



The current co-leader (she is a great one!) and me on the first day in New Orleans. No after photo but imagine 24K steps in 113 heat index..... we were tired! We did a great bus tour of the city, saw Jackson square and the cathedral and then did a cooking school. Back to the condo for a shower (in hindsight I should not have bothered but I felt better for about an hour with non wet clothes of sweat!) Then a 20 minute walk to the 2 hour walking ghost tour we did that evening and a long 40 minute walk back. We did a very late dinner and the 2 that stayed behind had dinner all set for us - a Nacho table!





The taco meat and rice was on the counter!



Day 2 - Look at those smiles! We walked 25 minutes to the WWII museum which was wonderful! Then as we were walking to the Mardi Gras Museum we took a detour for some food. I had my first taste of fried green tomatoes'. They were pretty good! The leaders scooter died on the way to the last museum so 2 of the girls stayed with her while the other Mom and I took 4 to the museum. This was Emilys favorite part and it was really neat to learn the history, see how they make them and then wander the warehouse and see all the old ones. We also got a piece of King Cake. We had sent Jill, the co-leader home in a Uber after lunch as her feet were toast and the heat was getting to her.


On our walk to the WWII museum. Henry Clay statue.


The girls made chicken and veggie packets for dinner.




Day 3 - 3 adults took the 7 girls to the French Market for some shopping and bartering. I am not good at bartering but, I know to bring Hailey with me to get the best deal. She is a rock star!



It was HOT and the girls were toast from the heat. We did have one who was sick but she powered through pretty well. We had planned the last night to be New Orleans food, so another Mom and I walked 5 minutes to the car and drove around and picked up various things for our feast. We had muffaletta with and without cheese (had some allergies to lactose), various po boys - chicken, shrimp and roast beef, fried green tomato's, beignets, gumbo and red beans and rice. Everyone got to sample whatever they wanted! The girls used their donations from the cookie booths to pay for this!









Then it was packing up a bit that night and another late night for the girls. They also got their badges they earned for the year and bridged in a ceremony at the condo. The next morning it was clear out the fridge, pack the coolers and then lug everything down the 48 stairs to the street. Shawna and I walked the 5 minutes to get the cars and parked and helped fit everything in. We had 6 girls and 4 adults on the way back. One had her Mom and brothers fly over and did some of the things with us but she needed to get back earlier on Sunday so she flew home with them Saturday night. It was a great experience for us all. I think I've had 3 of these girls including my kid since Kindergarten. Those three are going into high school in August!

The dog was very happy Emily and I were home. The cats were very happy I was home. I think Peanut slept on me (literally) all night long. The chickens have gotten their feathers and Em and Greg are out cleaning out the smaller coop and setting it up so we can put them out there later this week but keep them separate from the older girls. They say not to intermingle them until they are the same size..... so in another 3-4 weeks I think.
Now... what to do with lots of eggs!


4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a great trip! Sounds like you packed it full with all kinds of fun stuff. Such a good idea to rent the condo so the girls could do some cooking, too. I bet everyone was happy to have you home - animals and humans!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like you had a great time and plenty of wonderful food!!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Sounds tiring but so rewarding! Glad you were able to do this for everyone. ~Jeanne

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I read every word of this with such pleasure. What a trip, what memories for those girls! But my goodness I can't get over all the walking in that heat you did. It really must be so good to get home and rest too.