Thursday, June 8, 2023

Progress....

 I gathered the eggs this morning and managed to crack one of them! Sigh, I'll use it up in dinner tonight. A green egg and 2 brown ones. It will be a homemade Chinese night - I'm going to try Moo Goo Gai Pan, Emily will make veggie fried rice and I also got the things to try a beef and broccoli. We will see how it comes out. ***Edited - the beef and broccoli has been added to the rotation. I opted not to do the Moo Goo that night.  I am tempted to make egg drop soup as well, but think that will be too much food. 


The baby chicks sure are growing fast. They have feathers coming in and the tail feathers are starting to grow as well. Eggnog is on top of the water with the Reds on either side of Blackberry. They tend to fly out when we open the top of the cage!


I got some sewing time in and cut out the sashing and cornerstones and got this all sewn together. I pulled from that magic box of fabrics I ordered last fall and found a cream for an inner border and a blue dotted print for the outer border. I'm thinking 2.5 inches and then 3.5 inches for the borders. 







Maybe I'll be able to cut and sew the borders on tonight after dinner? We will see. I'll have to search and see if I have a backing that will work. I believe it will end up about 66x84 for a twin size quilt. We will see if I can get it quilted this weekend. Linking up to the RSC on Saturday.

11 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Wow--chicks and sewing--how fun!! quilt is looking good--and those chicks are growing nicely--!!
hope supper came out good--
hugs, di

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hope dinner was delicious! I really like the cornerstone design that's showing up with your little triangles in the star quilt. It's going to be beautiful!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aah I miss having chickens and gathering eggs. Pretty eggs that you gathered and I am sure they will be delicious. Dinner sounds so yummy. The chicks are so adorable, Deb.Your quilt is looking amazing and cheerful . Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your star quilt. I tried making egg drop soup once and it didn't turn out - I need to try it again I love it at one place and tried at several other places and they all seem to make it different. Sometimes I make Chinese and use a jar of sauce that you can get at the grocery store but they never taste as good as the kind at the Chinese buffet

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I love Chinese food...hope you dinner is great! I also love the secondary pattern of your churn dashes on your star quilt...very clever!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I love Chinese food and hope you dinner is awesome. I really like the secondary pattern of the churn dashes on your star quilt...very clever.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finding borders for your quilt in the "magic box", Deb! Chicks? Apparently, I missed that post! Off to scroll back in time...

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a great variety of shapes, sizes and colors of eggs. I wonder what the newest chicks will produce. The star block quilt looks great.

Jenny said...

The chickens are growing, and what fun to gather your own eggs each day.

Ivani said...

Your quilt is growing so well, and it is beautiful! You have great plans for tomorrow. Have a nice weekend.

Susie H said...

Love seeing your chickens! Such pretty eggs too. Great job on the quilt top. Hope you had the time to sew those borders on.