Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Rainy Day Foods....

Years and years ago, hubby had purchased food from the Rainy Day Foods Company. I think he got a single serving portion for a year that lasts up to 30 years. It has moved from place to place (lots of boxes and buckets of things!) and we are finally starting to open and use them. There are so many different things in there  and some of the things we have pulled out to use are the baking supplies - salt, baking soda and powder, yeast, oats - hey, I ran out making cookies and remembered there were some!, 16 bean mix, popcorn, apple drink, etc. 

There are huge buckets of wheat and other grains.... and I finally just ordered a grain mill attachment for the kitchenmaid mixer for hubby for Christmas. Time to start using that up and I have a feeling we will be grinding some grains on the 25th or 26th and making some home made bread!

I think it will be time to open the cocoa and dry milk and make up some hot cocoa mix with Aidan as well. Emily will be unable to have that one (lactose intolerant) but... she'll enjoy the bread!

I think I still need a pressure cooker/canner - those beans are very hard (soaked the last batch for 24 hours and had to cook for 24 hours to get them soft) and we have multiple 10 pound buckets of black beans, the 16 bean soup (Aidan loves this stuff!), refried beans and a bunch of other kinds. I would love to start processing them so I can have them ready in the pantry when needed. I tend to throw black beans into various meals and salads... and the kids will eat them!

I just need to remember there is all that stuff around the house that needs to get pulled out and used when I am prepping my meals. Getting the grinder will help in starting to play with some of it. 

Come back next week and see what our first adventure will be with the new mill. I do love the smell of baking bread in the oven.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I really want to pressure can but I have a glass top stove and it is not recommended. :(

I am hoping that at some point I will get a decent hotplate that has good and consistent heat output and then I can start my canning adventure.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Rainy Day Foods Company? Interesting...