Friday, October 1, 2021

OMG for October 2021


 To make my son happy, I'm making my goal this month to finish expanding his quilt to make it longer.



We worked on this quilt together and it finished at 60x60 in March 2019. He picked the pattern and colors and did sew a few seams before he got completely frustrated and asked me to finish it. I asked a few times about making it bigger - no, this size is fine. Well, the boy has grown in the last 2 years and now he wants it longer! I managed to find similar fabrics and pulled what was left from my stash. The quilt is a Kim Diehl Pattern called Twilight Hopscotch. 

I am planning to add 8 more blocks  to get it around 90 inches long and have made them and cut out the sashing and cornerstone blocks. By the end of the month I hope to have the 'new' quilt rebound and finished for him. Linking up with the October One Monthly Goal.


My steps to do this month to get it completed:

1.) make 8 blocks - done - finished the last 4 on Sept 30.




2.) cut the needed sashing and cornerstones - done

3.) remove the binding from the original quilt. ** Done 10/7.

4.) remove the bottom border from the quilt. **Done 10/14.

5.) create rows and borders with the new blocks as a new section. **just need outer border 2 sides 10/7 **Done 10/16

6.) Find a backing piece to use for this new section. **Done

7.) cut a batting piece for the new section. *Done - pieced one.

8.) Using the QAYG method - add the top to the existing top, bottom to the existing bottom and whip stitch or zig zag on the machine the new batting. Will need to unpick a little of the existing quilting. **Done 10/17

9) Quilt the new section on the machine - thank goodness I did easy line squiggle quilting! **Done 10/17

10.) Trim up quilt.** done 10/17

11.) Select  and make binding (will let him choose - orange, teal or grey) - Teal chosen!**Done 10/17

12.) attach binding to the quilt. - by machine is done - now to finish by hand! ** Done 10/29.

2 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like you've got a great plan for finishing that project up! I think it's really neat that your boy loves that quilt enough that he wants to keep using it!

Sharon Kwilter said...

It will be a lovely project.