Thursday, October 7, 2021

Snowman and Silent Night Sew Along

 After running the kids to school and then moving some files at work for testing, it was time to play with fabric! First off I sewed Aidan's 4 rows together to make his quilt longer.


I made block #2 and #3 for the Snowman Sew Along. I do love that I purchased the middle blocks so it is super easy to sew this one up.  I also cut a weeks worth of bright green hexagons and then prepped them for stitching during a 2 hour meeting this afternoon.  During that meeting I had Aidan's quilt and my seam ripper and got nearly all of the 60x60 binding taken off the quilt. I finished off  the last 2 feet before dinner.  When I laid out the quilt without the binding and the section I had sewn together..... it appears there is a final border on the quilt that I missed! Oops - plenty of fabric left to add that to my new section and  I will have to unpick the last row on one side of the quilt when I add it to make it bigger. If I take off that bottom I really just need to add something to the 2 new sides then sew the removed last row onto the new section. I think I have it figured out in my head even if it doesn't make sense here!

After dinner of warmed up carnitas meat from the freezer and some roasted sweet potato, I headed to Sams Club. All I can say is I had flashbacks to last year! Limit one of toilet paper or paper towels. There were no paper towels and I grabbed the Members Mark TP. I got flour - no sugar! There was also no brown sugar at all. Good thing I usually buy more when I pour the old bag into my big container so I do have both granulated and brown sugar in the pantry. The cookie/cracker aisle... where it is normally stacked my height was single layer of things and missing a few of the things on my list. At least there was frozen chicken and beef so I got my one package of each for the freezer. Honestly, I keep a well stocked pantry and freezer and when I open the last container  or know I am using something that week I grab another one. I knew the coffee I am using will be empty tomorrow and I'll open the container in the pantry. So I got one to put into the pantry. I think I have always shopped that way, not sure why but it works for me. I tend to use the same things so they do get used. 

I am very glad I went out Tuesday and filled up my empty tank with gas. I told the kids I was trying to test the gas low light =) It comes on with 27 miles to go. I think it was at 29 when I filled up.  It was 2.91 for unleaded. I noticed yesterday the prices had jumped to 3.05 and today they were 3.15 a gallon! Quite the jump in just a couple of days. Too bad it does not go down that quickly.




6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm going to Sam's tomorrow but so far I have not noticed anything much not being available here but I did pick up an extra 2 pack of paper towels and an 18 pack of TP a couple days ago - Maybe it will vary state to state?

Moneik said...

Wow, cheap gas! Our gas at Sams was 3.42 this week and 3.57 most of the rest of the stations in town. I am the same as you with stocking the pantry. I keep enough on hand and always buy more. I just told the family we need to buy canned veggies again to stock up for this winter.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I am like you--with shopping and stocking--though I did get caught short with the first Covid panic buying of t.paper --mine is more out of necessary with not having a car--and like you I seem to buy the same things over and over--so it is safe for me to have extra on the shelves!!
Not sure I am going to do anything in the more lime greens this month--I do think I will do some whites and off white yo-yo's though this month!!!
looks like gas it trying to get back up to over $4 gallon again--booooooo!!!!
hugs, di

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Snowman blocks are so cute! That was definitely a good idea to buy the panel. I haven't noticed quite the empty shelves around here that you're describing, but there are definitely things I want that I can't find, and they're odd things, like my favorite cereal! Hope you managed to get what you needed.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Deb, Aidan's quilt is really coming along. I'm like you, only happy if I know I have things in stock. I noticed our Walmart had some empty shelves, very unusual and we did our Costco order for delivery and they didn't have tp the Kirkland brand. And yes, gas is going up here too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Supply chain issues? Ugh!