Sunday, August 13, 2023

Back to School

 Yes, school started for the kids on Thursday. No pictures were taken! Silly teenagers. I have a Freshman and Sophomore this year. It is a very early start to the day, since Aidan needed to take his elective Robotics class as a Zero period class - it starts an hour before school starts! We live about 30 minutes from school with morning traffic. The kids did pretty good getting up a little after 6:30 to get out of the house for 7:15/7:20 for the first 2 days. Emily will have some long days this week - with marching band practice after school 2 days (3 hour practice) and then football games on Fridays. It will take a bit to get into the new routine, I think. The kids have been sleeping until close to noon during summer break.  Emily has a couple of friends who get dropped off early to hang out with before school, and she has a band pass that she can be let into the grounds and go there around 8 if she wants. 

Emily had horses yesterday and after being out in the heat for a few hours, my energy was completely drained. Emily and Kyra, who rides with her in their lesson group, decided to switch horses. Kyra is working on getting out of her comfort zone. Emily took it as a chance to try out the Western saddle since she normally rides English. The horse Reba was trained as a western horse. Lance, the horse Emily normally rides, was out of commission for a few days with an injury so Kyra was on a different horse yesterday. They will switch horses again once Lance is healed.  



I plan to tackle the office for a bit of a pick up and the sewing room for the same. I hope I can maybe find an empty spray bottle so I can fill it with water and spritz out the blue marking lines on the first frosty! I finally got his cross hatching finished last night. 11 more to go! I was listening to my audiobook while stitching him last night. I'm listening to The Battered Body by Ellery Adams. I think it is the 4th book in the series.


Since the kids went back to school Thursday and that is my day off, I decided to get a few things done! I finally brought my rings to the Jewler to get resized. Those should be ready for pick up at the end of the week. 3 sizes to expand the ring from 2006 when I got it! Then I headed to get a hair cut. I grew it out in 2021 and it has been shoulder length and then I cut it to a chin bob a few months ago. I've lived most of my life with very short hair..... I decided to go back to it. The hair dresser was so nervous chopping it all off, but it turned out great. She went a little longer than I used to wear it, and I now have some wave in my hair (when did that happen, it has always been pin straight! age maybe?) I went from this.



or when dry



to this!



Washing the hair is much quicker and no need for conditioner!

I'd better go see if the dog wants to get up as his girl is still fast asleep! 





7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the hair will be easier to care for and to style. Glad you got your rings resized before you had to have them cut off! Before you know it you will not be sitting around waiting for the kids at their after school activities because they won't want you there and will ask you to pick them up instead - then you will really notice a difference in your routine

Julierose said...

Love the new "do";)) I love short hair, too. My hairdresser doesn't want
to cut it as short as I would like it to be--says my hair is too fine..
Anyway--gosh, school already!! Busy days ahead...
hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice haircut! Good to change things up once in a while. I try really hard to keep my sewing room tidy, but then, I go in there to make something and it’s a mess again…sigh!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy back to school days! I hope both of your kids have a great year! Frosty looks perfect with his cross hatching - makes me want to re-do mine. Your hair is cute cut short, and I bet is very easy to take care of, too. Happy Sunday!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You look so lovely, Deb. I am sure it is a lot quicker to care for as well. It's hard to believe the kiddos are back in school. Yours are very busy. I wish them a fabulous school year. Your Frosty looks amazing. I just adore it in blue. Thank you so much for stitching it. Have a blessed and beautiful day. Hugs.

Jenny said...

That's a cute little Frosty. As you say, only eleven more to go! Life certainly gets busier as the family grows up with all their different interests.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Great cut, Deb and will be easy to care for too. Love the Frosty. Can't get over how committed your kids are to their wonderful activities. You are raising hard workers there!