Saturday, November 11, 2023

RSC Saturday

 First off, Eggnog the one americana left from the 'new' batch of chickens laid her first egg this week. It is green and I think her eggs will be a small size egg. We have 3 of these eggs right now but I'm sure there is one out in the nesting box this morning as well. The other americana was a rooster and he was rehomed. The other two were rhode island reds and one got killed by something in the run last month. The one remaining, Buttercup is starting to get a red crown but no brown eggs yet. The other 3 older girls are all molting right now - all their feathers come out and they look terrible. Then the feathers come in and they are pretty again. They don't lay eggs while they are molting. 



I added a few grey split nines last night to the pile. I pulled some light blues but have not sewn them up yet.


I was playing with the blocks last weekend. Still not sure how these will be laid out yet but they are fun to play with.... once you shut the dog out of the room. He had other ideas on how to set them!




Linking up with the RSC

9 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be a pretty quilt, Deb. SEW many great setting options with Split 9 blocks!

Sara said...

The Split 9 blocks are so versatile with so many layout options. Very pretty!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

No matter how you lay them out the result looks great. I am leaning towards the middle layout. The groupings of 4 feel like flowers to me.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry to hear you've lost some of your new batch of chickens, but glad you're starting to get eggs from one, at least. Love all the layouts you're trying for the split 9s! Do you have a favorite?!

Jenny said...

It's always so interesting just how different the three layouts of your blocks are. I'm sure you will choose the right design for you.

Jenny said...

What happened to that comment, it disappeared! I was trying to say how different each block layout looks. I'm sure you will choose the fight on for you.

Anonymous said...

Split 9 blocks address so fun to work with!! Looking great

Ray and Jeanne said...

Not sure which split 9 layout I like best! Good luck deciding. ~Jeanne

Spinni said...

I'm grateful for the clarity and coherence of your writing. Well done!