Thursday, September 19, 2024

RSC - Arkansas Traveller Blocks

 I just finished sewing the 3 orange blocks this afternoon and decided to lay them out. With this diagonal layout - I need one more block. There are currently 24 blocks - 3 blocks per month for 8 months of color. I think I'll add one more in either purple or green to finish it off. White setting triangles and then it should be about 68x68. It might get a border or two to make it a wee bit bigger. Maybe a 2 and a 4 inch border to frame it? 


It has been a strange week. Greg got a call on Monday night around 5 from his Dad. He was in pain and wanted to go to the ER. Greg drove over to his house (45 minutes with no traffic) and got him to the hospital. They determined a UTI, antibiotics and sent him home around midnight. Tuesday, after finishing work in the early afternoon, I headed over to grab his script from the pharmacy and deliver it with some things he asked for. Then picked up Emily at school on my way home. (she volunteered at the middle school band program helping out with the woodwinds. They get out of school an hour after the high school this year so are helping out the middle school teacher.) Wednesday, I had a girl scout event planning meeting and turned in the wands that Emily had worked on. She stayed home with homework this month. Wands are made of chopsticks, then doodle hot glue on in patterns and then they get spray painted so they are wands for the littles at the Harry Potter Event in November. The bigger girls make their own wands in their rotations. Aidan was gone all day on a trip to UCF in Orlando with the engineering group on his new Saturday adventure. They got to tour the campus, see the labs and experiments and get a feel for the campus. He was at school for 6:30AM and got back after 7PM. It was hot out (feels like 100 with lots of walking on campus)... and it appears his credit card did not work in the water vending machines. He had a headache, and drank tons of water when he got home. After a couple of hours it was better and I got to hear about his day. He had fun, but way too many people on that campus. I guess it is around 77K students.
Thursday - day off so some relaxing and some sewing happened. Then, we got a phone call from the Health Alert people right after lunch. My FIL has fallen and could not get up. (Ok, I flashed back to that commercial from the 80's with the 'I've fallen and I can't get up'!) They sent an ambulance. They called our house and my cell phone. We made phone calls with no answers... then the lawn guy called Greg and said they just loaded his Dad in the ambulance and headed to the hospital. Greg headed over and he was off for testing. He said he passed out and fell and then could not get up. He just was at the hospital on Monday. His birthday is Sunday - he'll be 89. He has been in the hospital or rehab the last 3 birthdays. We were excited to head over with the kids Sunday to celebrate with him at home. Sigh. We will see what happens but at least he was wearing the monitor watch and was able to respond when they detected the fall. Too weak to get up is not a good thing. 

I find I can't concentrate well on hand work while life is crazy/out of my hands and I'm worrying. So, not much progress anywhere else. Emily is a late pick up today, so I need a flexible dinner. I just put some pinto beans into the insta pot. I've got a skirt steak thawing for fajita meat and I know I have some peppers and onions to go with that and some tortillas. There is even some avacado, cilantro and lime in the fridge and things to make pico. That should work for a eat as you want dinner tonight. 
Tomorrow night - brisket! I picked one up at Sams on Monday afternoon and finally prepped it late morning with the salt and pepper rub. It will go on the grill early tomorrow morning and should be ready by dinner time. Someone has been eating the rest of the roaster chicken and it was down to bones when I pulled it out at lunch.... so that is in the crock pot with water, parsley, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper. I'd better go check the beans (they beeped a while ago) and start chopping veggies. 

No comments: