Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Grandmothers Choice - Endless Stairs

This block was so easy to make. It would make a great scrap quilt with lots of colors in lights and darks. My version uses eight different fabrics that I have used in this quilt so far (I think!).

Now if I can get a backing ironed and sewn together this afternoon maybe I can pin the Kaleidoscope quilt tonight after the kids are in bed early (no naps.) That means I have to select a batting for this quilt. The warm and natural I usually use is not an option as she wants the feel of a quilt my Grammy made for my Mom. I have a twin size Farifield from Joann's Fabrics in 80/20 with low loft. I also got two Hobbs Heirloom batts-  one is 80/20 and the other is 100% cotton. She wants a soft feel but I also want her to be able to wash and dry it as needed and have it hold up. I think I am leaning towards the Fairfield batting but I'll see which one actually makes it into the quilt tonight. That 100% cotton batting is a queen and might just go into the Birds in the Air RSC from last year for hand quilting later this year and the other might be inside the Easy Street Mystery that is also waiting to get finished. See, I did have a plan when I purchased them! For now it is 90 degrees outside at the end of May and my kids are inside the air conditioning listening to a Christmas video of songs that they found in the video basket.



2 comments:

scraphappy said...

So nice to have a variety of battings to choose from. Best of all, choosing just the right one means a quilt is almost done.

Sheila said...

Nice block. I know so little about batting. Please blog your thoughts as you work through these.