Saturday, May 11, 2013

Saturday in Blue....

This weekend I will relax with a little bit of hand work when I am not working a sale at the store.
This my ongoing orange peels...... which I guess will be blueberry peels this month.
These are the prepped peels so far and a shot of all my hand appliqued peels for the year. The bottom part of the picture is the Kaleidoscope quilt which is sewn into rows. One month and I need that one done and shipped.


Another project is to baste the Fireworks quilt for hand quilting. I think I will just do some straight stitching through the chains and then something with curves on the outside borders. I want a little chain in the white border. The outer border will be decided on later but I have a few ideas running around in my head. Do you use a special thread for basting your quilts? I had a bit of thread left on a spool that was causing my machine to have fits so I am using that end for basting this.

Head on over to SoScrappy and see what other blue projects are being worked on.


15 comments:

scraphappy said...

I love the look of all of your orange peel blocks together! What a fun collection it is turning into. I do the same thing with using up extra thread for basting. There always seems to be an extra almost empty spool hanging out. Using things up always feels so good.

Sarah said...

I love your little orange peel blocks - how big are they?

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your blueberry peels are as neat as your orange peels! I usually use pins to baste my quilts but when I thread baste, I use old thread of which I have lots. I'm just careful about color as some old threads bleed! Have a great weekend! ~Jeanne

Ellen said...

Love, love the orange peels - they look so pretty.

I started out using embroidery floss for basting and then switched to just plain old white polyester thread. Both worked just fine.

Cathy said...

Love the peels. You've got a great collection. The variety will look so pretty in a quilt.

I have never basted with thread...always with safety pins even when hand quilting.

Julie in GA said...

Your little peels are looking great! Have you figured out how you will arrange them?

Faye said...

your peels look fabulous all together!

Julierose said...

I just really love those peels, too. I like that blue with the whites...your final top will be just smashing! Julierose

Edith said...

I love the way your orange peel look altogether. Good luck with the Kaleidoscope quilt, you can do it.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Your peels are looking wonderful... how long do they take? I can't wait to see what they turn into.

Teresa in Music City said...

Those "orange" peels are oh so lovely!!! That's going to be an amazing quilt when you're done!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

WOW! I have a thing for orange peels...this is going to be wonderful! ; )

Sheila said...

Love your delicate orange peels. Your Kaleidoscope and Fireworks quilts, too!
I always baste with safety pins. Often but not always use a very, very, very light application of basting spray, too.

Angie said...

Loved seeing your collection of orange peels so far!

Quilter Kathy said...

I am loving the peels!
I mostly use pins for basting now, but when I thread baste, I just use up old thread...like you, I finish up stuff that my machine doesn't like!