Sunday, June 10, 2018

Dresden blocks....Slow Sunday Stitching.

Knowing I will have some car waiting time this week ... the kids have camp invention and it is a car line pickup at the end of each day.... it is time to figure out what I will work on. This was their ONE request to do this summer again. I believe it is their 3rd or 4th year going. Well, that and going up to Vermont.

Since I have 11 of the 12 Dresden blocks hand quilted (the dark blue one is almost ready for the cross hatching) and I opted not to add the white sashing in between like I was originally thinking..... I can start putting these together so I have some hand stitching for the car line wait Monday-Thursday! I think I'll work on connecting the left side (I always seem to work from left to right on quilts!) so that I'll be connecting the brown/pink, yellow/black, sage/purple and maroon/orange. Once those are connected I'll add the third row on. Then will connect the rows into 2 halves of the quilt and finish it off. Each block finishes at 16 inches so it will be a decent size snuggle quilt.

Pre-quilting layout.

I have done machine stitching together the quilt as you go a couple of times now. My first try was with this quilt that I hand quilted each 12 inch block and I used a scrappy sashing on top. The back used a black sashing to connect them.

Front of Quilt Square Along quilt

Back of Quilt Square Along quilt with sashing. Don't mind Peanut - he had to test it.

My second try was with this quilt without a sashing on top.  I machine quilted this big guy in three sections on my little Viking machine and then connected them. The backing I used the same blue fabric as the back to stitch it down for the connection. Same method but different effect. This is the method I'll use for my dresdens. You can find the link's I used for these methods here under my tutorial tab. After searching for them the last time I got smart and put them where I could easily find them! You'll also find a quick tutorial on how I did my hand pieced trip around the world blocks in 2.5 inches... that one is sitting on the frame waiting for me to give it some attention. After the dresden is done, I promised it!

RSC 2015 Sampler Quilt
Back of RSC 2015 Sampler Quilt with solid backing. I used the same  fabric to connect the three parts.

Linking up with Kathy and the other Slow Stitchers (I'll be slow stitching this one this coming week!) and Oh Scrap.

If you have ever thought of trying quilt as you go, I encourage you to give it a shot. Hey, if I can do it so can you! For me.... I never would have been able to quilt the RSC Sampler on my machine as a big quilt and the other was a nice portable project for me to work on while waiting in the car on the kids at PreK and elementary school. 

10 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Thanks for the link to the tutorial you use for quilt as you go. I have a really old UFO that I've been wanting to do that with, and it's time to get going on it! Love your Dresdens, too!

LA Paylor said...

love your dresden setting! It looks so colorful and the stretched out cat is adorable! Quilts in use!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am also nearing some finishes on my RSC quilts. Your Dresden blocks look fantastic. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Suzanne said...

I love your Dresden blocks...so amazing!

Kat Scribner said...

OMGosh, all 3 quilts are just fabulous !

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your Dresdan is wonderful! I have never tried quilt as you go it sure would help when it comes to larger quilts.

Ray and Jeanne said...

For not being focused, you are getting LOTS done!😉The sampler quilt with no sashing on the top looks great. It's hard to do those big quilts on a domestic machine but this method works well. Good Job! ~Jeanne

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You have done a beautiful job with the Dresden Plates quilt! Such beautiful vibrant colors! Job well done! Pat yourself on the back!

Karen's Korner said...

It is amazing how much can be achieved while you are "waiting". Pretty Dresden plate blocks.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love your 'dreseden' blocks, very pretty & vibrant!