Monday, June 18, 2018

Something new..... tumbler anyone?

I have a plan for my take with me projects when I travel later this week up to Vermont. I'll have the heart and nines quilt for hand quilting while up there but I also wanted to have another option.

I saw a tumbler quilt recently and decided that would be a good hand pieced project to take with me. I  didn't want to purchase a ruler so I made my own template with a cardboard piece from inside a FQ. I measured in 3/4 of an inch from each side and drew a line to each corner and cut. I figured it will work on a nice 5 inch square to make a good size quilt fairly quickly. Of course... I had to test it out before cutting oodles of fabrics. I grabbed some purple and a printed purple leaf and got this little 'doll quilt'. I just need one more seam to put the two parts together. This is about 18x18 inches with just 20 tumblers. Hmmmm it might need one more row of 5. I'll have Emily test it on some stuffed animals and see what she thinks.



It worked!  Now I really need to decide on what colors to pull to play with. I am leaning towards greens - the darker forest greens and maybe some dark creams or brown thrown in here and there. I know Bonnie Hunter had a sew along a few years ago with tumblers and I loved how the scrappy ones turn out.... but I think I'll keep mine to controlled colors ....this time!

3 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice work on this--great take-along project for the summer for you hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hand piecing is NOT my thing! I admire you for choosing that for your "take with me" project.

canuckquilter said...

Looks like a fun slow stitching project. Greens with creams and browns brown in will look very homey and cozy.